Michigan-Grand Rapids

Need your wedding advice for Michigan local magazine.

Hey Knotties,

I am back with a question for the magazine. Tell me:

What is your best wedding tip or secret? We want secrets from our Knotties that you might tell a new bride and something that they might not get from anywhere else. Maybe it’s to choose wedding colors that you’ll love in your home so that you can repurpose some of your wedding décor. Or maybe it’s to join the message boards! 

Spill your best secrets below and thanks in advance. Your advice is always priceless!

Knot Annie
Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!

Re: Need your wedding advice for Michigan local magazine.

• akhensley81akhensley81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

The best piece of advice I could give was also given to me by my MOH, who got married several years before me. And that is: Organize, organize, organize. One of the first things I did on my MOH's advice, was I went out and got myself a 3-ring binder, with 3-hole punched folders, blank paper and section dividers. I made a section of the book for each "section" of the wedding - Reception, Flowers, Dresses, Tuxes, etc. And EVERYTHING went in that book. Everything from ideas to reciepts to contracts to e-mail shipping confirmations - I never had to look for anything.

• Knot AnnieKnot Annie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GREAT advice! Thank you.
    Tweet? Me too! Have you checked out our My Real Wedding Gallery for ideas? Upload your photos here and be featured on The Knot!
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend that they join the Knot message boards, if for no other reason then vendor reviews!  It can be so hard to find reviews of potential vendors out there, and if you can't read honest reviews, then how do you know who you are really hiring?  I found some of the best vendors, and also learned to stay away from some notorious ones, through spending time on the Knot's message boards.
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Knot AnnieKnot Annie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shrades! I have a message board vendor tip. Give me another! You have great advice!
  • xDanniellexxDanniellex member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First don't sweat the small stuff.  The wedding is one day, what is important is that you're marrying the man (or woman) you love and the rest of your lives together is what is important. 

Joining the message boards is very helpful too.  Not only for vendor reviews, but so that you can talk to other brides-to-be that are in your shoes and are just as excited as you are.  Your FI, mother, MIL, best friend will never be as excited as you and will get tired of hearing about invitations, arrangements, flowers, etc.

• amaretto*souramaretto*sour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure to set aside time for you and you FI. While planning our wedding, DH and I would set aside time to go out for dinner and a movie. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the planning and forget why you want to get married in the first place!
    Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
  • amaretto*souramaretto*sour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't induldge in very much alcohol on the day of your wedding! I've heard of brides being nervous and drinking more than they should--not a good combo!
    Kryssie Speaks

Last updated 4/06/11

image Snortlemonster: Amaretto's siggy says: I'M A BLOGGER, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FORCE-FEED IT TO YOU. And I have a secret life. And a sense of humor. And I am in charge. Sort of.
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another piece of advice that someone told us, is to make sure that just the two of you sneak away from everyone at your reception, stand back in a corner, and take it all in.  Scan the room, look at all your decor, your guests, and watch everyone having fun.  We remembered to do that, and I can tell you - that one minute we stood back and watched everything was absolutely amazing.  We'll both never forget it.
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    To add- Don't get caught up in the "My Day" stuff.  There are so many things that aren't necessary for the day to be a success.  If you wouldn't do it for a normal party- don't do it for a wedding!!
  • TheWopTheWop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shop around and name your price!  You would be amazed at how flexible vendors can be with prices.  If you find a vendor you like, but is out of your budget or more than you're willing to pay, get quotes from others and see if your preferred vendor come down on their price or even match.  You're wedding day is special, and you want it to be perfect, but it shouldn't break the bank! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Let your vendors do their jobs. Chances are they've done hundreds of weddings and have their business down to a science. If they have standard way of doing things that works well for them, roll with it. It will be less stressful for everyone and you'll be able to enjoy yourself without worrying if things will go the way you planned. It's tempting to try and plan out every last minute but letting things progress naturally will give the whole party a more fluid feel.

Enjoy every minute of planning and being engaged. Being stressed out is part of it but it will be over before you know it and you won't be able to get it back.

Weddings bring out the best and the worst in people. Be prepared for this process to change some of the relationships in your life in ways you can't forsee.

• edited December 2011
    The best advice I could give a bride is to BE YOURSELF throughout your wedding planning and wedding day..  Dont give in to other peoples opinions and what they perceive what your wedding should be.  do what you and your husband want for your wedding.  Also, take the time throughout the day to capture the little moments that go on and take in all the little details that you spent so much time on. 
  • beccaroomubeccaroomu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take your time. Whirled up in the excitement of getting engaged, I jumped on the first vendors to reply to me. After booking everything within the first few weeks (determined to show everyone I had the wedding "under control"), it hit me I should have taken more time to weigh vendors and their rates. I could have saved a lot of money.

A second tip would be to consider dessert options besides a traditional cake. The cost of a wedding cake floored me. And, many couples today seem to be opting for sweets tables, homemade treats, pies and cupcakes.
    Happily married in South Haven, MI on June 4, 2011.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards