Michigan-Lansing
Options

How soon should I book?

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this board. I'm getting married on July 13, 2013 so I still have a little while before I really need to start doing any real planning. I've just been looking at different vendors and trying to get an idea of price ranges.

Anyway, I was wondering how soon I would need to book a venue in advance? I've heard that you should book about a year and a half in advance in order to secure your date. Is this true in the Lansing area as well? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: How soon should I book?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked a year in advance and had trouble getting the dates and rooms that I wanted, so the sooner you book, the better!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard that you should and shouldn't. I'm running into a problem here in BC where places I'd like to even look into don't book that far in advance (We're doing a 9 Aug 2013 wedding). Just what I'm noticing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    July is a popular month to get married, so I'd start looking and book when you find something you like!
  • Options
    gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on where you want to book.  Some places will book now for events in 2013.  Others may not open their books until 18 months out.  Your best bet is to ask at the specific venues you are interested in and if you are sure of your date and your venue book as soon as you can.  However, if there is somewhere you have your heart set on that won't let you book yet, hold off on booking other venues until you have confirmed that you can get the important one (i.e., DD wanted the MSU Alumni Chapel but couldn't book until Nov 2009 for 2011 so she didn't book anything else until she knew she could get the date she wanted at the chapel).
  • Options
    michgreenemichgreene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Since you're not getting married in football season I think you have a little more time to play with. But I think as soon as you make a decision there's no reason to hold out in booking!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would book as soon as the venue allows because you might save some money.  We were engaged in Dec. 09 for our Oct. 15, 2011 wedding.  We booked many of our vendors in January 2010 and saved on two years worth of price increases.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had trouble with the Kellogg Center and the Union already having the dates I wanted booked. Even the Radisson and the Marriott were pretty limited already and I had a very specific date in mind. I'd book as soon as they let you. I was looking about 14 months prior and most had already been booking dates.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards