Michigan-Lansing

LOOKING FOR VENUE IN FLINT-AREA

I'm planning a budget-friendly wedding for this fall. I need some help narrowing down venues. At first I was looking at country clubs in the area, but now I'm considering some other options. I'm currently out of the state so any ideas, photos, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Places I'm considering are the Flint Institute of Arts, the Northbank Center and the Holly Hotel. I've never seen the Holly Hotel, but the reviews I've read are positive.

Re: LOOKING FOR VENUE IN FLINT-AREA

• Are you specific to a day? And approx how many people? We are getting married in Grand Blanc which isn't far from flint. We are going to The Captains Club of Woodfield. You can easily look them up by googling. They have a Facebook page that the events coordinator constantly uploads wedding pictures to and they have won numerous knot and wedding wire awards. Good luck in your search! Sent from my iPad so please excuse typos. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for your post! That is actually #1 on my list. I'm originally from Grand Blanc. I was just looking for some other options so I can compare and get the best value based on what I'm looking for. We haven't set a date yet, so I am taking my time to make the best decision. We're looking at having around 120 people.  Keep me posted on any deals you find in the GB area.

• Hi Erin!!!

Another really great option is The Durant ballroom in downtown Flint (durantevents.com)

The cost for the ballroom is $300 per hour (5 hr min. rental on Saturday)...it includes your tables and chairs. BONUS: The chairs that come with it are Chiavari AND you can bring your own alcohol!

My fiance and I are fairly certain this is where we are holding our reception. It is BEAUTIFUL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for your reply. We looked at The Durant, and while we fell in love with the pictures, we didn't love the space once we actually saw it. What are you doing about food? When I was talking to caterers, I was informed that The Durant doesn't have a kitchen so it's difficult for caterers... Since I'm out of state, that would just be one more thing for me to worry about! Smile
  • While they don't have a physical kitchen, there is a prep room :) A few of the caterers that are being considered are literally within walking distance so I suppose I'm not too worried about the quality of food in between. Did you call the caterers on their list? Which ones have you spoke with? (I guess it would be easier to pick one that wouldn't mind catering there)

I'm curious as to what about the space you didn't like? I know that you need to have that "feeling" about your reception space, kind of like the dress...

I can totally understand your concerns with being out of state though...good luck in your planning!!!!

P.S. Captains Club is VERY nice! It was another place I liked, but FI doesn't want your run-of-the-mill location...

How many people are you having? The Holly Hotel is also nice, but I didn't want people spilt up between rooms...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I contacted Fandangles, 501 Bar & Grill & Cameo Event Planners. I emailed them a few months ago when I was trying to create a budget. Fandangles said it was "difficult"; there was another caterer I contacted, but I must have deleted that email. 

About the space, i thought it sat a little too close to the road, and you could actually see the cars/buildings across the street (can't remember if that's North Saginaw or MLK). The windows are really beautiful, but I would have to do some window covers. Otherwise I think it would mess with the ambiance. I also thought the room was a little small and cold. Just my humble opinion though :) 

We're looking at about 120 ppl, but we're now considering a destination wedding. So I'm basically thinking through the potential planning of 2 weddings right now!

I am going home in a couple weeks so I plan on going to look at some places just in case we decide to go the traditional route. 

• We are using the Northbank Center in Flint. It is very nice. So far the people have been really helpful too. They have a list of approved caterers that you chose from. We are using Fandangles. Everyone we told about us using Fandangles has been really excited--even my dad who is a chef.
  • The Northbank Center is another one on the list as well. With a smaller number of guests (100-120) we weren't sure if the room would appear too big. I'm not sure about you ladies, but in the last 3-4 weeks, we've had multiple scenarios--we've considered lots--dates, cities (we live in NJ now), traditional reception/brunch... everyday it's something new! Thanks for all your input!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards