Michigan-Lansing

August Outdoor Wedding?

Hey ladies,

My FI and I are still in the very early stages of planning- we haven't even decided on a state yet!  We live in the Chicago area, but his family lives in Michigan.  Since the majority of my family will be traveling regardless, we are considering a location in the Lansing area (plus its MUCH cheaper than Chicago). 

My concern is that we are looking at an outdoor ceremony and a tent or barn reception (no a/c, but supposedly a great breeze?).  If we schedule towards the end of August, do you think it will be too hot?  Personally I love 90+ degree weather but my FI is worried.  I've looked up the historical weather in the area and it looks like the highs are in the high 70's to low 80's.  We wouldn't have many older guests but I don't want everyone to be miserable... 

Re: August Outdoor Wedding?

• dfritz27dfritz27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the end of August it could be great or super hot.  Not only are the summers hot but humid!  I don't know about you but I have frizzy hair and I would be worried I'd look terrible by the end of the evening!  Everyone will be dressed up and wanting to look nice and that's hard to do in hot, sticky weather.  It wouldn't be my first choice but it's your wedding so you should do what you really have your heart set on :)
  • gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Many years ago I got married on August 27th.  It was hot and humid.  That is really a very hard time of year around here to say what the weather might be like (but then again, so is most of the rest of the year LOL).  Some years it is hot,and others it is so cool by Labor Day that we can't use the pool. 

If you are set on having an outdoor wedding, be sure to have a backup plan in case of rain.

Sorry this isn't more help.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP.  It could be insanely hot, you could have a huge thunderstorm, or it could be wonderful weather.  You can't depend on any certain weather in MI!!  I too like the heat, but my FI can't stand it.  Thinking about him outside in a tux in August is enough for me to say we could never do that.  He would be miserable and cranky.

I would also worry about frizzy hair and sweaty, oily skin.  Definintely consider that as well.  Of course, if you want outdoor pics (which I'm sure you do!) that might be a little concern anyway.

No one can make the decision but you.  I suppose that if you have a covered area and people don't need to be out in the sun it could be okay, but it's all going to depend on the weather.  And unfortunately, you won't figure that out until the day of.  I think you should talk to your family and his, see what they think and start looking at and talking to venues.  I'm sure that they will have more insight on this too!  GL!
    Anniversary
  • schmellaschmella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great input!  We are looking at moving it up to May or back to September at this point, I'd hate to have miserable guests (and thanks @nlfeguer for mentioning the miserable fiance part, I'll be in a short cool dress but he's wearing a suit) . Checking out my top venue this weekend, wish me luck!

• edited December 2011
    I am getting Married August 6th at the Rosewood B&B.  The wedding is on their garden and the reception is in a big white tent.  I say do what you want!  I have always wanted an outdoor wedding we picked either July or August becuase those seemed to be the safeist months in MI to get good weather.  If you are looking to do an outdoor wedding I would also think about the rain as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards