Michigan-Lansing
Options

EL Marriott for a Reception

Are any of you considering the East Lansing Marriott for your reception? I really like the idea of having a reception there and I was wondering if any of you looked into it, and what your thoughts or opinions were...

Thanks a ton for any info you can provide!!!!

Re: EL Marriott for a Reception

• Options
    kate51485kate51485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Based on what you got for the price I was happier with Kellogg Center packages (where we ultimately booked), but I really can't remember specifics for why I thought that. It's worth comparing the two I think, though.
  • Options
    pammymsupammymsu member
    edited December 2011
    That's helpful, thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    EL Marriott was the first place we looked at too, and were really happy with all of the details they would take care of for us. Upon continuing our search, we found that the Marriott's prices were much higher than other venues that offered the same attention to detail and comparable food and beverage packages. 

We decided to book at the Radisson in Lansing, as it is much more reasonably priced and they have a wonderful and flexible staff to work with! We also feel that the venue is very similar to the Marriott in that guests will be at the hotel and do not have to travel after the reception, and it is still situated right down town for those that want to keep the party going afterwards :) Hope this helps, good luck!
  • Options
    pammymsupammymsu member
    edited December 2011
    That is really helpful too becasue I looked into the Raddison too and loved it!

I'm trying to plan this from Kansas, so it really means a lot to have some honest opinions to help me make decisions! You ladies are the best! Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also looked that the EL Marriott and while their facilities were nice and I thought the banquet pricing was comparable to some other area hotels's packages, but the guest rooms were far more expensive than other hotel venues we looked at.  I just didn't want to spend that much on hotel rooms for myself or my bridesmaids, and I didn't want to suggest to my guests that they spend that much either.  I wound up booking at the Kellogg Center because I liked their staff, their pricing (banquet and guest rooms) seemed reasonable and I've heard nothing but positive things from brides about their experiences there.  I have also heard good things about the Radisson, so it's a good option too.
  • Options
    michgreenemichgreene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our wedding at the Marriott, the staff has been WONDERFUL to work with - we actually had our food tasting today and everything was incredible.

As far as the guest rooms go, ours are $109/night, but there's no football that day so not sure if that impacts things for you.

Regardless, good luck in the venue hunt!
  • Options
    pammymsupammymsu member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! I haven't crossed the Marriott off my list yet, but then again, they haven't responed to my email for almost a week... ugh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Marriott is comparable to other locations, though I think the alcohol charges are slightly more (I was quoted $17pp for beer/wine, I assume that's for 4 hours). It was an additional $1,000 for liquor. The average price of a plated dinner is $28 and the cheese-fruit, vegetable display is $12. Basically, it would be $57pp (before services & taxes).  These quotes are from 2010, so it might have changed a little. I think you can find comparable pricing in East Lansing for better ambiance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked with the Marriott. Part of the reasoning being the dates. I looked at most other E.L. places and the Marriott was just the best bang for our buck with the right date. (June is a popular month!) I really like the staff they are very helpful and accomodating. If you are worried about pricing they work with you and offer many options. My only problem was how 'loud' the carpet was. It was so bright and busy. But I'm hoping It will mostly be covered by the dance floor and tables. And they were a little cheaper than the Radisson for 2010/2011 pricing. At least for what we were looking at (200+ people).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards