Michigan-Lansing

Lansing Bridal Show/cake

Is anyone going to the bridal show at the Lansing Center on Sept. 11 and 12? I'm going to go, hopefully with a bm or two. If not, I have no problems going in there alone. If it's anything like the one in GR earlier this year, it probably won't take more then 30-45 mins to walk through. I am not exactly sure what vendors are going to be there, but I know The Cakery is going to be, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to check them out. I kind of find the whole cake-testing thing to be a bit awkward. It's like, "thanks for letting me eat some free cake! Bye."

So far we have met with Naomi from Eagle Eye. We loved her signature flavors, and some of her designs. One of my bm's was in a wedding recently which used one of her cakes and it looked awesome. She's definitely in contention. Especially since we will most likely go with a brown frosting, any inperfections will not stand out as much. I've been doing a lot of research to come up with what I really want our cake to look like. Good thing I've had, and still have so much time to plan, I'm so indecisive about some things!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Lansing Bridal Show/cake

• emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not going but let me know how the cake is!  The cake is the next thing on my list.
  • edited December 2011
    This is during my wedding weekend! :)

It was the first bridal show I went to last year. I think we spent about an hour there, but we were newbies. I remember The Cakery's cake being good, but there was something about the woman I didn't really like. I also really liked Naomi from Eagle Eye.

Good luck! I found my chair covers, tuxes and limo from that bridal show. Hopefully they have some good discounts for you!
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • kate51485kate51485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're still looking for a place, A Piece O' Cake has very yummy flavors...and I don't even like cake :)
  • kmwingluvrkmwingluvr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that A Piece O' Cake is really tasty, but I'm afraid she might be out of my price range. I suppose it doesn't hurt to check it out though. Phill369 - who are you getting your cake through?

I hope Perfection Limo and Dreamkeepers limo will be there. So far there aren't any transportation vendors listed on the bridal show website. Those are the two I'm really considering at this point, although Perfection is a little cheaper. If at least one is there it would definitely help, less travel going to check them out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gailpetegailpete member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My DD and I may be going.  I've asked for a list of vendors (which of course they don't have yet).  Since she has been engaged for 2 years, we've been to a few of these and I'd like to know if there is going to be anyone there we are interested in talking to.  We're still looking for DJ, ceremony musicians, limos and cake.

If I'm successful in getting a list of vendors, I'll let you know.
  • kate51485kate51485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting two cakes, one more classic with design work and a groom's cake in the shape of a chef hat (FI is a chef) and I think it was just over $800.  Not sure what your budget is, but Kelly is great to work with so if you're interested I would get in touch with her and see what she could do for your price range!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_lansing-bridal-showcake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:96Discussion:a66e800b-b1a1-4410-8010-a595867bdc9aPost:2afd7f03-97f6-4a21-9a7f-3b9f4336c0a9">Re: Lansing Bridal Show/cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have heard that A Piece O' Cake is really tasty, but I'm afraid she might be out of my price range. I suppose it doesn't hurt to check it out though. Phill369 - who are you getting your cake through? I hope Perfection Limo and Dreamkeepers limo will be there. So far there aren't any transportation vendors listed on the bridal show website. Those are the two I'm really considering at this point, although Perfection is a little cheaper. If at least one is there it would definitely help, less travel going to check them out.
    Posted by kmwingluvr[/QUOTE]

I'm getting my cake from Tasty Layers in Burton. For some reason, cake was a really hard decision for me! I like Shorty's Cakes & Bakes and Naomi at Eagle Eye, but Tasty Layers just seemed the best fit.

Also, I'm using Perfection for my limo! They were at the bridal show last year, so hopefully you can check them out this year!
    ~Bethany My Bio! Visit Lansing.Weddings.com image
    9.10 Siggy Challenge: Fave Pic of FI & I. There are lots, but this one's good! :)image
  • kmwingluvrkmwingluvr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

One of my bm's and I went to the bridal show yesterday afternoon. We ended up booking an in-home spa night for next week, which I'm excited about, and I got my ring cleaned and all sparkly, so that was nice too. :) We tasted the cake from the Cakery, and weren't all that impressed. So I'm glad we went to this so I can definitely eliminate them possibility. I set up an appt for this Wednesday at Cake Art, which I'm looking forward to. We'll see how we like her before setting up any more appts.

Pam Klusack recommended someone to me too. Her name is Char Parry at Sweetest Day Custom Bakery. She also works out of her own home, and is near Holt. Anyone have any experience with her?

The other thing I decided on after going to the show yesterday (after of couse getting the ok from my FI lol) was transportation. I was 95% sure we'd go through Perfection Limo before going to the show, and after seeing the bus in person, I was sold. I already emailed them and told them we want to book. I'm expecting a call probably tomorrow to set up the reservation. I should have asked how they set up payment in my email, but I forgot in my excitement over the amazing limo lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards