Michigan-Lansing
Options

Non-resident name change help

I've been scouring the internet and while I've found plenty of websites that tell you what steps to take to change your name after the wedding in Michigan, none of them explicitly state how this works for non-residents. We're getting married in East Lansing. FI is still a resident of Michigan, but I'm registered as an Illinois citizen (I live in MA now). Can I go to the clerk's office in MI to have my name changed or do I have to do this in Illinois? Thanks! 

Re: Non-resident name change help

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

My assumption would be that you have to go in the state in which your driver's license is issued.  The Social Security Administration might be easier since that's a federal thing but to change your name on your ID, you would have to do that in Illinois since they have to create a new card for you.

I would first call the Social Security Administration to see what their rules are because at least in Michigan, you have to change it with the SSA before you can change it at the DMV.

Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Like PP, I think you just need to go to the Social Security office to change your SS card, then go to your local DMV (wherever your license is issued) and change your name on your drivers license.  Your signed marriage document acts as your official name change document too.  In Florida, where I live, I don't need to change my name with a county or state office, other than on my SSC and drivers license.  It may be different in your state, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards