Indiana

Couple Questions Re Marriage LIcense

Hey ladies, I have been so busy at work this week, I don't have time during the day to call the clerk's office...but I was just wondering how long did it take to get a copy of your marriage license back? Do they mail it to you? After the ceremony, do you have to bring it back to get filed in person or can I mail it? We are leaving for the HM early the Monday after the wedding then come straight back to CA so I'm hoping we can mail it in, or have my parents drop it off for me. Thanks!

Re: Couple Questions Re Marriage LIcense

• edited December 2011
    One more question, for South Bend or Mishawaka, did you have to make an appointment when you applied for you license? If you just walked in, did you have to wait awhile?
  • edited December 2011
    I just went in, but we went right when they opened. Cash only (make sure to visit their website for that kind of info). They gave us our license right then and there after answering questions like our mothers maiden name and fathers name and their birth state's. They said our officiant just signs it with us and our mailing information and they send it in for us. I am not married yet so I don't know how long it takes. They were REALLY helpful where I went. Gave us info on the websites and phone numbers to call for changing our social security number and drivers license.
  • edited December 2011
    hi there! we went yesterday to get ours at the south bend court house. (the clerk's office is in the basement there). we got there about 9:00 in the morning and there wasn't a line so we got right in. it took about 20 minutes to fill out the paperwork. they gave us a copy of the license right away. $18 cash only. and yes, after the ceremony you can just send in the license. they provide you with envelope too! they also give you fancier certificate for you to keep for your records.
  • edited December 2011
    you know what? the $18 is if you live in st joseph county. it is more if you live out of st joseph county.  can't remember what the cost is though. when do you guys come to sb?  time is coming up soon for you! :)
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the info girls. I'm in South Bend and was wondering about all this too.  We need to figure out when to go really soon!  So the basement of the court house huh?  I didn't know that!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and I think I saw $60 for non residents.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    jamie (my date twin!): yeah, we actually went in thru the county city building thinking it was in that building. we hopped on the elevator and took it down to the basement. it connects to the court house.
  • jpharisjpharis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It took 2 weeks for us, but we had to go in person and get it. After the ceremony you do nothing, the minister should be the one to take care of it, mailing it in, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I wonder if I can use my parent's address? Do they need proof of residency, like a piece of mail or anything? Jen, I get into SB on Sept. 3rd and FI doesn't get in until the next Wednesday, so we are getting our license first thing in the morning on Thursday-3 days before the wedding! Makes me a little nervous getting it that close! 3 weeks from tomorrow!!! This month has FLOWN by!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards