Indiana
Options

South Bend Reception Locations

I am planning a wedding for my cousin in South Bend for next May. We had booked it at Tippecanoe restaurant but she went thing past weekend to look and eat at it and she hated it. We are planning this from long distance so we had to go with sight unseen. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a nice, and affordable reception locations? We are already checking with Beiger mansion and Palais Royale to see if they are booked or if we can even consider them. Thanks girls!!!
I heart Ben!!
October 11, 2008
imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
Trusty Gal blog|Trusty Tales

Re: South Bend Reception Locations

• Options
    x.Brittany.xx.Brittany.x member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Palais Royale is probably one of, if not the most, expensive locations in the area. Its beautiful though.There is also the Marriott downtown, Century Center, Woodward Room, Riverside Terrace (Mishawaka) and Windsor Park (Mishawaka).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  We are having our reception in October at Windsor Park.  We love it!  There isn't much online about the place, but let me know if you want me to give you any info.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in a wedding with the reception at the Marriott downtown and I wouldn't recommend it, unless they have someone new coordinating. She had nothing but trouble, they didn't get anything right, and the coordinator was extremely rude to everyone there.
  • Options
    gobluebhgobluebh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What are you looking for in a venue? Do you want to have the ceremony there, as well, or just the reception? If she didn't like Tippecanoe, she probably won't care for Beiger Mansion. They're really similar. Palais Royale is definitely the most expensive place in town, with Riverside Terrace closely behind it. Both are beautiful locations, though. Windsor Park is definitely an awesome place. I have been to a couple of receptions there. It's very clean and the food is excellent! The only thing about Windsor Park, is it's in Mishawaka, not South Bend. But, it's not that far out of South Bend. I'm getting married and having our reception at the Scottish Rite in downtown South Bend. It's definitely budget-friendly. It's a beautiful building. They're so nice to work with there. You have to work with an outside caterer, however. Another place to consider is the Carriage House. It's one of the more up-scale restaurants in the South Bend area. My friend is getting married there in September, and having her reception there. She loves working with the people there. They sent her a birthday card! It's fairly reasonable. There's also the Woodward that's really nice. I heard it's hard to get a hold of the coordinator for the venue, though. Parking is not easiest there.
    We're married!!! 12-12-09
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    st hedwigs is budget friendly and has really really good polish food. i'm not having my wedding there but have been to alot of weddings there. it is not as formal inside but is nice. i heard they just remodeled it too.
  • Options
    ndirish07ndirish07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    psychgirl--yikes! when was the wedding you were in?  My reception is at the Marriott since I and EVERY guest coming are from out of town, so we thought a hotel would be easiest.  I hope it works out now! :/All the other places the girls said are nice as well.  If I remember correctly from call-in day, her wedding is on campus at ND--if so (and even if not) there are lots of great on campus reception locations.  I LOVED the Jordan Hall of Science (brand new building, massively tall ceilings, gorgeous white walls, floors, and beautiful woodwork--but again, we went with a hotel for out OOT guests convenience.  The JACC, LaFortune Ballroom, Dining Halls, and Sacred Heart Parish Center and Legends are all options too, with the last 2 probably begin the cheapest.  The Hilton Garden Inn at St. Marys is a newer, very nice place also, but they had a $15,000 minimum for Saturdays.  I'm not sure if I would classify it as cheap--but it probably would be similar to Palais prices.   The College Football Hall of Fame and Century Center are options as well!   Good luck--let us know how it goes down!  I understand how planning from a distance is frustrating, I've made 3 trips up there already!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ndirish07 - The wedding was last September. The bride had problems from the very beginning, the woman never returned phone calls. If it's the same woman I'd just advise you to double and triple check everything. I can't imagine it's the same woman.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!! Actually my cousin loved the vintage and antique feel of Tippecanoe but when she went to eat there the other day, her and her fiance did not like the food at all and said that all of the furniture was looking a little shabby. However, she is really liking the Beiger Mansion, because she went and took her engagement pictures there and it was the same feel.  We have been talking with them all day and researching and it is sounding pretty good. Has anyone been to a wedding there or heard anything about them? Anyone been inside and can tell me if it is nice or not? She is really wanting to hear what other brides have heard, so I would appreciate any and all feedback.
    I heart Ben!!
    October 11, 2008
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Trusty Gal blog|Trusty Tales
  • Options
    gobluebhgobluebh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A good friend of mine, her brother got married and had their reception at the Beiger Mansion. The ceremony was a little awkward, as it was outside around the fountain. You couldn't hear what they were saying because the fountain was so loud. The food there, in my opinoin, was excellent! They had the appetizers and bar in one room. That worked out okay. It's just a bad traffic pattern for people trying to get in and out of the room. Plus, the main room had so many tables squeezed in it, that there was a table right in front of the french doors to go in to the bar/appetizer room. I was at that table and we got in the way, quite a bit. They have this from deck/terrace on the building that serves as their dance floor. It's not exactly a 'sufficient' dance floor. It's really narrow, and small. When they were doing the garter toss, you couldn't see what the groom was doing to the bride, and only like five people could get out there to try to catch it. Depending on how many people you will have, you will probably be spread out in to two rooms. So... that makes it a little awkward. It works, just not everyone can see the bride and groom and see what's going on. Beiger Mansion is really nice. It's probably better for a smaller wedding, though.
    We're married!!! 12-12-09
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My brother had his wedding at Beiger Mansion about 4 years ago. Dennis was the guy who coordinated the whole thing and he did an outstanding job. Yes, it would be more ideal for a smaller wedding. But with about 150 people it wasn't a terrible setup. If you are just planning your reception there it would be perfect. It's classy, the food is incredible and the flowers that Dennis does are just so amazing. I've met with Carriage House about doing my wedding there next summer and they were really pricey plus they had a lot of contingency fees based on whether or not we damaged their lawn area (what? Yes, if you damage their lawn in the garden they will charge you several hundred dollars in maintenance fees). The Woodward looks pretty nice and it's very reasonable when it comes to cost. There's also the Summit Club. My sister had her wedding there and not only was the service fantastic, the cost was reasonable and you get the best view in town. Good Luck! And let us all know if you need pics or additional information :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards