Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Start time of wedding/Picture time allowance between ceremony and reception

Hi ladies ~

My fiance and are ademant about not having a long lag time between the end of our ceremony and the reception.  Our cocktail hour begins at 5 and the church is about 15 minutes (if that) from the reception venue.

With that being said, I wanted to start our wedding at 3:30 in hopes to have a 20 minute ceremony followed by a 15-20 minute receiving line.  At that point we would be ready for pictures and the guests could mingle and head to the reception.  I figure that we would have until about 5:45 at the latest to arrive at the reception for a 6pm announcing of the bridal party.  

Am I underestimating the time for pictures between the ceremony and the reception?  How much time is everyone giving?  My pastor recommended that we start the wedding at 2 or 2:30 rather than than 3:30 which just seems ridiculous and unnecessary.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations!!  Thanks in advance!!

Also, I thought about starting the wedding at 3:15 but I heard from numerous people that it's unlucky to start with the hands on the clock going down that they should be pointing up.  Has anyone else heard this?
PGH June Siggy-Favorite Summer Activity-KennywoodWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Start time of wedding/Picture time allowance between ceremony and reception

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a lot of the timeline depends on how many pictures you want and how many guests you have, especially if you have a receiving line. KWIM?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dalecnardalecnar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I guess that will be a factor.  We are having about 200-210 guests so the receiving line might take a while.  I'm hoping to get it to about 20 minutes though.  I just want to be sure I'm being reasonable.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey lady- for those who don't know, DALec is one of my BM! Hooray!!

I just want to remind you that a lot of guests probably won't stick around for the entire receiving line, so they may be off to the reception place right away. I know I told you this before, but I'd make sure they can get into the reception venue, even if they are early. I think 3:30 would totally work...

3:30- guests all arrive
    3:40- ceremony starts
    4:00- Ceremony ends
    4:00-4:20- Receiving line
    4:20- 4:30- get pictures in church
    4:30-5:30- get pictures
    5:30-5:45- drive to reception
    6:00- announced.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I would also have someone on stand by in case the receiving line is going on too long, then someone (not you) can cut it off and say that DA and FI will greet them at the reception hall, in an extremely friendly way.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • dalecnardalecnar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!  I think it will work - if anything I will MAKE it work!!  :)  I really just want the wedding to flow smoothly into the reception. 

Also, I would like the wedding to start right at 3:30.  Maybe I should say on the invite that it will start at 3:15 so that everyone is there and it can start right at 3:30.  That would give us an extra 10 minutes to take pictures in the church if necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm considering doing some of my pictures before hand, any of the ones that don't require FI & I to be together.  Maybe you could consider that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My mom absolutely hates receiving lines.  We are going to do our recessional, loop around to the front of the congregation and then release everyone from the pews in hopes of that being a quicker process than the receiving line.  Just a thought if you're trying to save time!

I've also heard the superstition about the clock hands.  We're starting at 3:30. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards