Indiana
Options

Honeymoon help!

My fiance and I really want to take a honeymoon but are on a tight budget since we are paying for most of the wedding ourselves.  We live in northwest Indiana and are trying to find some place within driving distance (at max 6-8 hour drive).  We live about two hours away from Chicago and was wondering if anyone has honeymooned there?  Or if anyone has any other suggestions around Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio or Kentucky?! Please help!

Re: Honeymoon help!

• Options
    edited December 2011

Northern michigan (Traverse City) is beautiful in the fall, what are some things that you guys like to do? That would help in making suggestions

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are renting a house on Lake Erie and spending a few days at Cedar Point. If you like rollar coasters that could be an option.

Chicago is a really neat place if you haven't spent much time there. If you decide to go there and want to see the sites then they have a book that has discounted prices for the major attractions.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @lindenheart I had thought of going somewhere in Michigan especially since our wedding is in October but I'm not sure what there is to do there!  We are not the type of people to just sit around and relax at our hotel room all day so I want to make sure that there are some fun things to do around the area that we go to. 

@csm we actually thought about going to Cedar Point but we looked online at the dates and Cedar Point is only open on weekends in October :(  It would be about a 5-6 hour drive there and we wouldn't want to drive that far the night of the wedding to be able to go to Cedar Point on Sunday. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There's wineries, golfing, and beaches (more for walking than swimming in October). You could visit Macinac Island. I try to get up there once a year to bike around the island. I think there's sky diving near Petoskey. Michigan.org has more info on things to do there

Also, you could go down to Indy. I heart Indy weekends! The art gallery, shopping, and/or wineries. You guys could go to the Colts game the day after your wedding (something FI and I would love). Just trying to brainstorm!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry this is later, but just had another thought. What about Nashville IN? It is a small crafty town. I have spent days and days there just walking around in the shops. Also, there are wineries, an artist colony, shows (on stage), a state park (Brown County State Park - AWESOME IN THE FALL!), and even more to do. If I remember correctly there is also a festival in the fall....
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest UP Michigan.  We just got back from a vacation at Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island, but it will be REALLY cold up there in October. 

I suggest you go southward!  Brown County is beautiful in fall. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We a planning to spend a couple nights in Indy at Sybaris. They look AMAZING. Maybe not the most exciting honeymoon, but definitely relaxing. :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a coworker who goes to Sybaris with her husband for their anniversary every year. She just came back and brought me a brochure since she knows that I'm getting married next year. They have locations in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana. She said that the rooms are AMAZING and that it is a VERY private and relaxing place for a couple to go. The different rooms come at different prices of course, but they all look beautiful. It might not be the most exciting place, but I'm sure that depending on the location that you choose there would be several great entertainment options for you and your husband. Their website is www.sybaris.com if you'd like to take a look. Also friends of mine just got married in May. They went to a place called The Champagne Room north of Chicago and LOVED it. They said a lot of the same things that my coworker said about Sybaris, and loved that there was so much close by to go do. Hope that this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Madison Indiana has several cute shops and great historic down town that runs along the ohio river. It is very romantic to walk along the amber street lit river frount at night. 

Also Lousiville is about an hours drive from there and there are several great places to eat and do all sorts of things there.  

If you are into hiking there is a great state park (Clifty State Park) in Madison that is great for hiking or a romantic drive. The park also has an inn that from what I've heard is very nice.  

Oh and the weather that time of year tends to be very beautiful. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Madison Indiana has several cute shops and great historic down town that runs along the ohio river. It is very romantic to walk along the amber street lit river frount at night. 

Also Lousiville is about an hours drive from there and there is a lot of great places to eat and a sorts of fun things to do there. 

If you are into hiking there is a great state park (Clifty State Park) in Madison that is great for hiking or even a romantic drive. They also have an inn that seems nice. 

Oh and the weather that time of year tends to be very beautiful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards