Indiana
Options

Major Disaster... need help

FI's mom, VERY LONG story short, is no longer contributing to the wedding.

We're talking March 20. So less than 4 months. Flights have been booked by our mostly out-of-town guests. I'm freaking out.

I guess I'm trying to decide between cutting most frills and that includes having an open bar- going to cash bar, or trying to find a really cheap place to switch to, like a Veteran's hall.

Any advice? Anyone know of any VFW halls or similar?

Yes... my Thanksgiving sucked!!! ugh :(

Re: Major Disaster... need help

• Options
    munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Breathe.  It'll be ok--some people would freak and breakdown; you're taking action.  That's a good step in the right direction.

OK, so inexpensive locations to check out:
    1. Osprey Pointe Pavillion - Noblesville
    2. Lodge at Forest Park - Noblesville
    3. Somer Conference Center (no website: 873-1120) - Zionsville

How many people are you anticipating?  If it's not a huge crowd, you may have the option of reserving some space at a restaurant.  For example, BARcelona has a room that can host about 30; Adobo has one that can host about 60.  There are lots of options with this.

Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

WOW!  Im so sorry!  I would go to cash bar.. at the palomino it makes things WAY cheaper.... and haven't you already invested alot of money into it.  I hope it all gets worked out for the best!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not for sure which side of town you are on, but we are having our reception at the Knights of Columbus. They were incredibly reasonable on pricing and allowed us to bring any caterer we wanted which cut our food costs in half.
  • Options
    ndirish07ndirish07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear that!  I would contact vendors and let them know the situation--I'm sure a florist would be willing to help suggest less expensive flower options that will be just as beautiful, and with a cake if you were planning on a big one you could renegotiate and have a small one to cut and then sheet cakes in the back to serve to guests, etc.  I'd also eliminate things such as a champagne toast (guests can toast with whatever they are drinking), corsages for readers, guest book attendants, etc., and other details that may seem important but no one will realize are missing! 

I am sure things will work out eventually!  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the support guys. FI and I had a long, long talk last night, about what we could afford, what we want, etc. Since a lot of my family will have issues coming anyway, we're just doing a ceremony here. We will take our closest fam & wedding party out to dinner after (Buca, or Adobo type place) and then party at the bars! Then this summer we'll have 2 casual backyard celebrations, one in NJ for my fam, one in IN for his. That way we get the fun without the price tag and formality, and EVERYONE who we want to come can come, cheaply, and bring a date! This is also the financially smartest move for us, since we were cutting it REAL close now that we lost thousands from poopstains MIL!!!!!

My mom and I are emailing (her our family, me my friends) to inform ppl then we'll send an invitation/annoucnement with the change and info that they'll be 2 parties in the summer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    KJPugs,

I am so sorry that all this dysfunctional family drama is hitting you both so close to the wedding.  We had to re-evaluate things as well when money promised never came through.  We had considered to call the wedding off all together (we already had a civil ceremony just the 2 of us in August, but planned on a Jewish ceremony and reception Memorial Day weekend), but after a lot of tears and talking and a few cocktails, we decided to go forward with the wedding, but to completely scale back the reception.  We are going to have it in our backyard, and to keep costs down, I am going to do most of the cooking for the dinner.  But I am going to still have Heavenly Sweets in Noblesville do our cake (but a scaled down version), as they make cakes that are simply to die for, and I have been dreaming of that cake since we did our tasting!  I know it is not the reception we had planned or had been dreaming of, but it will still be ours and that will make it perfect! I can only imagine you will find the same thing to be true for you as well!  

Rae
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards