Plus-Sized
Options

Should I be worried?

I found my dream dress last weekend and bought it because it was on sale and I had the money. Anyway, we aren't getting married until May/June 2013 and I'm planning on losing weight.

I felt awesome about buying my dress until I got home and sent an email to a bridesmaid who just recently got married and told her I got gotten my dress. In her reponse she told me I may have gotten it too soon and that if I lose to much weight, they may not be able to help me.

Since then, I've been stressed to the max and worried about losing too much weight. I'm a big girl, wearing size 26, and my dress has a corset back. Do you think I'll have a problem? Should I really be careful with how much weight I lose?

I know the people who do alterations or professionals and they will do anything to help me, but I'm worried! Hopefully someone can ease my mind a little!
Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should I be worried?

• Options
    When I found my dress, I told the store that I too planned on losing some weight and they to me to wait to buy my dress until I was at the weight I wanted to be at when I wore my dress. They explained that while alteration can be made, they can only be made in moderation. If you lose too much weight, they can only take it in so much.
  • Options
    I asked FI's family friend about this, who is a seamstress.  She said that as a rule of thumb a wedding gown can only be let out or taken in 2 sizes. The corset back may or may not help with how much can be done to it, depending on how the dress is made.  

You would still have to have it taken in even though you can make it as tight as it needs to be with the corset. 

What size are you wanting to be by the time you wear the dress? 
  • Options
    Check with your seamstress, and show her your dress.  She can tell you how far it can be taken in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_should-worried?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:060ba5d7-8206-4bae-8338-c869fd4583b6Post:d76bb34b-f4f3-4fd1-b9fd-b48edd5c1471">Re: Should I be worried?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check with your seamstress, and show her your dress.  She can tell you how far it can be taken in.
    Posted by RaptorSLH[/QUOTE]
    This.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My shop told me up or down two sizes with a corset top is no problem. They also said if it was more than 2 sizes they simply take the corset out and can go down another 2 sizes, the cost to alter to that level is more however
  • Options
    I don't plan on losing too much weight, I really don't have a set goal or anything, I just know I want to lose some. I wonder how much weight I'd have to lose to drop two dress sizes....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats on losing 120lbs! Was the 10lbs consistant through the whole weight loss or did it take awhile at first to lost a dress size?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Check with your shop - they may have a policy where they will exchange an unaltered gown for a different size if you find you've lost too much weight to easily alter it.

Also, you need to wait for your alterations till you've lost all the weight you think you're going to.

I'm in the process of losing weight and the place I'm going to buy my dress from told me it's fine if I want to wait to put in the order for the dress...so I'm waiting as long as I can.
  • Options
    I also find that 8-10lbs equals about a size (in pants), but I've only been losing about 4lb a month, which is generally considered a reasonable speed, as far as I understand it.  1-2 pounds a week although if you have a lot to lose  or are REALLY dieting it might be faste, and the first couple weeks are usually faster.
  • Options

A good friend suggested that I buy the dress in the size I am now.  We all have grand plans to shed some pounds, but unless there's some dramatic weight loss... weddings can be stressful. You don't want to worry about missing out on the dress of your dreams on the chance that you'll truly drop enough for it to be a big deal. 

She also suggested that if I did drop a ton, that I should sell my dream dress and get a new one to fit the new size closer to the wedding.

Just my two cents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards