Plus-Sized

Looking for a dress

I have started the search for my wedding dress, and I'm disappointed to find that most stores are really limited on the number of plus size samples that they have available for me to try on.  I live in the Huntsville area.  Does anyone know of stores that have a good selection of plus size gowns in the store?  I can't see myself buying a dress that I can't even get an idea of how it might look on me.  Thanks!!!

Re: Looking for a dress

• Try David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo. Both make plus-sized dresses and have a great selection.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You also should call some of the bridal boutiques and just ask them about what sizes they carry. I did and all were more then happy to assist. Good luck!!

Ugh reading comprehension obviously is not my forte! Have you actually gone into the shops? What size are you looking for? The bridal shops I came across had about 9 - 10 dresses for me to try on and I wear a street size 18/20..also they can clip it if its too big...
  • I'm looking for a size 22, and I have been calling wedding shops.  I just haven't found many shops with more than a handful of dresses.  I don't want my chub to limit my options so much lol.  I was hoping I could find a store that specialized in plus size bridal or kept a larger selection than most stores.
  • Even though they may not have a sample dress you can try on, they probably have a size close to yours in other styles. They should be able to order them in your size.
  • If you feel up to a road trip, there's an Alfred Angelo signature store outside of Birmingham.  I drove about that distance to an AA signature store, and it was worth every minute to be able to try lots of samples on my size 28 frame.  If you find one you like, there are several boutiques closer to Huntsville that carry AA and can likely order in the dress of your choice.

Locally, there's a David's Bridal in Huntsville.  Service at David's Bridal can be hit or miss, though, so if you go, bring along a friend or family member who is willing to fetch dresses and help you try them on, and be prepared to resist high-pressure sales tactics if they try them.

I don't know your local boutiques, sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my dressat Davids Bridal- they usually have a good selection of plus size dresses. I agree, hit or miss sometimes. If you go on a weekend it will be super busy, where as during the day on a weekday seems to be less stressful... I am a size 24 and they got in me a 22 no problem- I am sure they can help you find something great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you tried you local board for ideas of shops?  I'd use that list, and call around to see if they have your size.  See if it's worth your trip...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards