Plus-Sized

Thank goodness for this board...

I just got engaged (yay) and how I'll look is one of my concerns.  We're planning a casual wedding (doubt i'll wear a formal dress), but i want to look my best.

We're waiting until 2014, but I want to start losing weight now -- not just because of the wedding.  I'm about a size 20 now, and just don't feel healthy.  I'd like to get to 14/16 and stay there.

Can anyone help?  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thank goodness for this board...

• I just joined weight watchers for the first time this month and so far I've lost 5 lbs! Really happy with my progress and I don't feel hungry. I've put on weight since I've met my H and so has he so we're just trying to become healthier. (I do all the cooking so it's really on me, lol!) I've heard good things about My Fitness Pal, too. I think the points system is really easy for me to stick with and paying for it actually encourages me to use it (My Fitness Pal is free, though.) 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Congratulations and welcome to the board! The ladies on here are very sweet so be sure to ask us anything you need.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi! Welcome and congrats on your engagement! You've got plenty of time, so dont start stressing about your weight yet!

There are a lot of supportive people on the "getting in shape" board. They have a daily workout accountability thread, which might help motivate you to keep up on your workouts. I also recommend an app like My Fitness Pal. It's a calorie tracker. you enter all your info and how much you want to lose per week (1 lb, 2 lbs, etc) and it tells you how much you can eat. It has a huge database, so you can enter things like... Burger King Chicken Sandwich no mayo, and it tells you how many calories, fat, sodium, etc. It also has a nice barcode reader feature. I just bought a "smart" pedometer called the Striiv play. So far I LOVE it! It's helping me pay more attention to how active I am every day, and it challenges me to go farther. Alot of the ladies on the "getting in shape" board really like the Fitbit one and Fitbit zip pedometers. All 3 of the pedometers will sync to your smart phone so you can track everything easier.
    Just doing what I've talked about, I'm down 10 lbs from Christmas! Ultimately, you've got to find what works for you! Good luck, let me know if I can do anything to help!
  • I use an app called Lose It. It's free to download and it will tell you how many calories you need daily to achieve your particular weight-loss goal. I too am losing weight to get healthy, but having the wedding as a goal helps. :)

I'm also grateful for this board because it helps to know I'm not the only one out there.
  • Thanks, everyone!  I'm planning to sign up for Weight Watchers on Friday, and get mysdelf a FitBit or something as soon as I can afford it.  Hopefully, I can do this!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm about the same size, and my wedding is in 2014 too! But unfortunately I have edical problems which makes it hard to lose weight, so I give up quickly... I worked out almost every day since the New Year and i'm starting to give up. What's the point when you see no results? Good luck to you, though! You can do it :)
  • Cloudyblue... Dont give up!! You CAN do it! Maybe you need to get with your doctor to talk about the best HEALTHY way for you to lose weight. Sometimes it's not just about working out, sometimes you need to change your diet. You've got plenty of time to get where you want to be, Dont give up on yourself!
  • Don't give up! My wedding is in April of 2014. I'm a size 16 and I'm headed to the doctor today to discuss healthy ways to lose weight. I understand wanting to give up... I do it all the time. But stick to it! If you or anyone else wants a buddy or some motivation message me!

You deserve to feel gorgeous and sexy on your wedding day!
  • Like PPs, I love the My Fitness Pal app!!  If nothing else, it just helps you pay attention to how much you are actually eating (both mindless snacking and portioning meals). It tracks more than just calories, but also how much protien, sugar, iron, sodium, vitamins, etc you are getting, so you can adjust your diet according to what you get too much of or not enough of!  And once you get the hang of it, it gets so easy to use since it remembers all your staple foods and even whole meals (like a certain sandwich, salad, or breakfast you eat very often).  Can't say enough good things about it!
  • Thanks, everyone!

CloudyBlue, I also have medical issues -- and medication -- holding me back, but I think I've been using that as an excuse... and it's time for me to do something about it.  It's time!

And TeeJay --  I am ALL OVER being fitness buddies!  Everything is easier with support!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards