Plus-Sized

Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!

I need help badly.  I have a VERY large stomach.  Like I think it looks pregnant were it not so jiggly.  I've been in kickboxing for over a year and have a very strong core, but my tummy won't go away.  Even back when I was 135 lbs, it was bigger but it's just ridiculous now.  I am a total apple shape, street size 16 jeans, 5'5" and about 215 lbs.

85% of the time I wear just the plain v-neck from Target.  You know the one, and I've got a billion colors.  But since it's cheap clothing they vary in length, or shrink without me putting them in the dryer, and I am pulling my shirt down always to keep my belly covered.  My fiancee even pointed it out and THAT is embarrassing (he didn't do it to hurt my feelings or be mean, he just said I should find longer tees).  The problem is I really don't want to spend a lot of money on my day-to-day clothing and I like having more than 10 shirts to choose from.  My office is VERY casual and I wear one of those v-necks and jeans every day, tank under the shirt.  Throw on a cardigan in the winter. 

I know my basic style is pretty boring.  But does anyone have any suggestions of stores or brands to look at that won't cost a lot?  I know the "wear tunics or longer tops, wraps take away from the mid-section" jabber but I'd really like to just keep wearing basic v-neck tees.  Old Navy is a no-go as their stuff is so cheap every XL or XXL is a different size than the one before.

Help?  Also, suggestions on longer tanks to wear underneath my shirts would help too!  Stretchy ones or lace bottoms are no good as they ride up.
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!

• scstar17scstar17 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Does anyone wear the American Apparel unisex v-necks?

http://store.americanapparel.net/2456w.html?cid=199-301

It seems everything Torrid has is trendy or patterned, and Lane Bryant and Catherine's seem old...my mom shops there. 

• You might want to consider buying them at a plus size store. They tend to run longer and shrink less.  Lane Bryant has some nice t-shirts and they have them on sale pretty often.  Catherines is definately a little "old" but, Lane Bryant has some cute things, especially if you are just mostly looking for tshirts and sweaters.

• PS.  I know you said you don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes, but, you really do get what you pay for.  Cheap clothes shrink and are ill fitting, and you have to replace them more often.   Spend $20.00 instead of $12.00, and you'll get a better quality.
  • I've learned that clothes designed for older women tend to be longer.  They also tend to be more expensive.  I've started buying shirts from J.Jill on clearance (retail is way too expensive).  They're longer and pretty basic (v-neck, crew neck, solid colors) -- love the "ballet sleeve" style.
  • I like Eddie Bauer for casual clothes.  Last fall they had lightweight v-neck 3/4 length sweaters that were fantastic!  Even though you mention you're set on tshirts, I highly recommend keeping your eyes open for other things and just being open to trying stuff on.  You might surprise yourself (and others!).

And remember that fitted clothing generally looks better.  The bigger and baggier the shirt, the more obvious you're trying to hide something, the "poofier" it looks and is just overall unflattering.
  • Did my reply not post?  ARGH!

I appreciate all the input and help, please keep the suggestions coming.  I am checking out every site and store given here.  I do sometimes wear cute tops, but generally just like one night a week when I go out.  The other days I don't want to 'waste' a cute shirt on my boring office where we have barely any dress code...and I have kickboxing three weeknights.  I also go to punk shows a lot on my nights out and for those you only want to wear a tee - you get sweaty and get strangers' sweat all over you! 

I found some cute stuff on EvansUSA.com but not actual plain tees!  I'm still probably going to buy them ha ha. 

I'm going to check out the tees at the shops given, I just see them online and the v-necks look so high on the collarbone.  I'm not looking to flash lots of tits but some cleavage is nice.

• alloy.com has a huge selection and extended sizes. their stuff is good prices and quality
  • I love torrid but they're pricey. I recently bought a bunch from JCP online in clearance and am happy with them.
    85image 71image 14image
  • I would consider some tops that have some draping. Old Navy clothes  are cheap and they have some cute styles

• I get my basic tees at Sam's Club. They're Nicole Miller brand. They wash nice, are long, and don't stretch out when you wear them. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:8bf8151a-7fe6-4799-a12e-275db7f180c3">Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE]alloy.com has a huge selection and extended sizes. their stuff is good prices and quality
    Posted by b4siren[/QUOTE]

I forgot all about Alloy!!!!  I got that catalog as a teenager when it was men and women, I should resign up for it.  Thank you so much!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:958bb5ef-92f2-4208-a4ea-b124f91f7821">Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get my basic tees at Sam's Club. They're Nicole Miller brand. They wash nice, are long, and don't stretch out when you wear them. 
    Posted by WalkersFurMama[/QUOTE]

Isn't Nicole Miller a good brand?  I'll look for those, thanks!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:6c92d105-98f4-4f67-8d75-e1d9ff370f37">Re:Everyday clothes help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love torrid but they're pricey. I recently bought a bunch from JCP online in clearance and am happy with them.
    Posted by m tulli[/QUOTE]

Yeah and Torrid always has cheesy graphics, hardly any plain tees.  I'll check out JCP.  I think part of my problem is not really wanting to grasp my age with my clothes and still want Juniors stuff.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:3aecd91a-393e-42e1-bab7-4946fd8b8e40">Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would consider some tops that have some draping. Old Navy clothes  are cheap and they have some cute styles <a href="http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5623&vid=8&pid=286123&scid=286123022" rel="nofollow">http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5623&vid=8&pid=286123&scid=286123022</a>
    Posted by anglyn[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Old Navy tends to be cheaply made and fit poorly.  Banded bottoms like the one you linked here don't work for an apple shape, they just excentuate the stomach even more by putting elastic around it.  I need open bottoms.

• But maybe if I bought the Old Navy tees in Tall it will help...since I am only 5'5" they will definitely be longer.

• I have personally found that Old Navy is not the best for an apple shape.  I feel like the T shirts there simply get wider (but not longer) when you go up in size.  I have this same problem with T shirts from Lands End, which otherwise has a good Plus Size selection. 

I'm shaped the same way as the OP, and I rely on layering tank tops with a lot of my tops. I know you said that tank tops ride up, but I have had good success with layers these lace bottom tanks from Lane Bryant:
    http://www.lanebryant.com/p130978/index.pro?relatedItem=true

They are longer and in my experience, don't ride up very often.  Target's plus size department had inexpensive longer tank tops as well. 

I would also agree that JC Penny has a good selection of T shirts and you can find sales.  Also, the Kohl's near me has good selection as well.  Might be worth checking it out.  For dress up clothes (nice stuff for going out), I order online from Kiyonna, which is expensive but damn, they have nice dresses and cute tops.  They also have photos of regular plus size woman in their clothes (in addition to models) so you can see what it really looks like on true Plus Size woman.  Great quality, but again, expensive and for special occasions. 

I'm shaped the same way as you are, OP, so I feel your pain.  Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, lady!  I'm glad you gave that input on the Old Navy because I was going to buy some fo the Tall tees in hopes they'd just be longer, but you're right probably also wider.  I'll check their return policy first. 

I bought a dress for our 'second reception' in FI' home state from Kiyonna.  A wrap dress I feel beautiful in even with my belly - they ARE nice clothes but too expensive and nothing is just plain old cotton. 

I layer the tank under the too short shirts and that helps but the ride up is still annoying.  If you say those LB tanks don't do it I'll check.  Usually anything elastic at the bottom is my enemy. 

• like SD I layer camis under almost every shirt I own.  Maurice's crinkle cami is GREAT.  They're pretty long (usually cover my butt if I pull them down all the way), are really cute and come in a ton of colors.  They have a lace edge, but it's a stretchy/elastic lace and I've never had one ride up on me.  

They have 3 different versions, (link)  the one with the straight top, the one with a LOT of lace at the bottom and then the one I, quite literally, live in.  This is the style I like best (link) but that's only 4 of the 25 color options they have available right now, the first link will let you see them all.

They are $20 each normally, but they're BOGO 50% off right now.  I've had some for 5 or 6 years now and they're all still in good shape.  They're constantly coming out with new colors (and retiring old ones)  Which means I need to get some new colors while they're on sale! :-)
  • Also - wanted to add.  I'm pretty apple-shaped myself; I honestly find that the right BOTTOM is way more important to how I look than the shirt.  I felt stupid buying "mom jeans" the first time, but having that coverage up over my belly instead of shoving myself into low-rise jeans that just emphasis the belly more makes such a big difference. 

Also my mom was just telling me yesteday about an article she read about the liver.  Basically the liver has two primary functions: 1) to clean out toxins that shouldn't be in your system (like alcohol) and 2) to process fat.  The article basically said if you're putting too many foreign chemicals into your body (i.e. processed food) your liver spends all its time trying to get rid of that stuff and doesn't have any time to process (and get rid of) fat.  So regardless of how few calories you're eating, how much you're exercising, etc. if your liver doesn't have time to process the fat your belly's not going to get smaller.  Just thought I'd mention it since you said even at your lowest weight it was still an issue for you.
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I wear the Mossimo jeans Fit 2, which are mid-rise and I think not bad but I KNOW what you mean about the low rise!  Not meant for my body anymore.

Do Maurice's stores carry plus size, or just their website?  I like the cotton jersey cami they're showing in plus sizes but would like to try it on first.  My problem with the lace/elastic at the bottom is you think that holds them down, but for some reason on me it just creeps up and makes the roundness of my middle even more noticeable.  I am just a special weirdo I guess.

I have veggies and grilled chicken five out of seven nights a week.  Homemade, no butter, no oils.  Do your job, liver!!!!

I really love your dress, whenever I see your signature I stare at it for a bit!  So pretty.

• And I just realized you are by me!  Hmmm but a Sox fan.  I don't know if I should take your advise...Tongue Out

• I have a crazy long torso and I have the tummy hang out problem. I wear maternity camis and tops.they are longer, but still fitting and trendy. Just thought I'd share. Lol.
    -First came baby, Then came love, Now here comes marraige in the marriage carriage??-
  • Im probably a little late to the party but I feel naked without wearing my tank uner my tees.  I love the target long and lean tanks.  they're like 8 bucks and they come in a million colors, I honestly probably have two of each color.  I wear them by them selves, but I also wear them under ts alot.
    Also...i have never tried it and feel like a nerd even mentioning but what about 'trendy tops...the top that's not" lol
    my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bha ha ha I considered that infomercial thing!  I wear tanks under every tee also and have the Target long and lean ones BUT they randomly shrink on me or are too low cut.

•  In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:961c20a2-0192-461d-9796-b1b1ce6598f7">Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE]like SD I layer camis under almost every shirt I own.  Maurice's crinkle cami is GREAT.  They're pretty long (usually cover my butt if I pull them down all the way), are really cute and come in a ton of colors.  They have a lace edge, but it's a stretchy/elastic lace and I've never had one ride up on me.   They have 3 different versions, ( link )  the one with the straight top, the one with a LOT of lace at the bottom and then the one I, quite literally, live in.  This is the style I like best ( link ) but that's only 4 of the 25 color options they have available right now, the first link will let you see them all. They are $20 each normally, but they're BOGO 50% off right now.  I've had some for 5 or 6 years now and they're all still in good shape.  They're constantly coming out with new colors (and retiring old ones)  Which means I need to get some new colors while they're on sale! :-)
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

I went to Maurice's today and they had some super cute shirts and long jersey tanks - actually in XXL!  I bought one and am going to order more online.  It's funny but I've found a ton of cute shirts that fit in better lengths so far, but no basic v-necks. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:5cf4a061-bbbe-49a3-9ea6-8a849117b238">Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE] In Response to Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly! : I went to Maurice's today and they had some super cute shirts and long jersey tanks - actually in XXL!  I bought one and am going to order more online.  It's funny but I've found a ton of cute shirts that fit in better lengths so far, but no basic v-necks. 
    Posted by scstar17[/QUOTE]

One place you might try is the Avenue. Theu often have basic t-shirts. Also I saw you mentioned about a lot of your clothing shrinking. Do you hang dry your clothing or do you use a dryer?
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • cinderellasjccinderellasjc member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_everyday-clothes-help-cover-my-belly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:5eada949-1280-4adf-b952-c797b7413e37Post:bbeb53ac-a033-42b8-a1a3-c98c55d2b4f0">Re: Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im probably a little late to the party but I feel naked without wearing my tank uner my tees.  I love the target long and lean tanks.  they're like 8 bucks and they come in a million colors, I honestly probably have two of each color.  I wear them by them selves, but I also wear them under ts alot. Also...i have never tried it and feel like a nerd even mentioning but <strong>what about 'trendy tops...the top that's not</strong>" lol
    Posted by irishangieb[/QUOTE]

So funny  you would mention this.  I just had my bachelorette party, and along with many fun naughty gifts, my firends got me funny gifts and one was a genie bra, and a trendy top.  Although you may feel foolish, they actually aren't as bad as you would think. the only thing I don't like is the difference in fabric when wearing it with some shirts.  But worth the 20 bucks. 
  • In Response to Everyday clothes - help cover my belly!:

I wear camis under pretty much everything.   Wearing the cami underneath shirts gives me an extra 1-3 inches of coverage, I swear by this method! 

I have maybe 7 white, 3 black and a few in other colors.  I usually wear the Target ultimate cami in XXL, or even the Target Liz Lange maternity line.  I stock up when they are on sale for between $5-$7, and I frequently see coupons on the Target website for $3 off clothing items.  

First Comment
    edited August 2012
     Yeah I love the Target ones when they don't shrink up!  I have a black one right now that is perfect, and my white and gray ones are way too short now!  I can pull it down and my boobs come out or up and my belly's out. 

I only wash in cold water and line dry my tops so how they shrink is beyond me.

So the Avenue v-necks have a bit of cleavage?  I hate the Vs that are way up on the collarbone.  They look too old.  The Avenue website doesn't even have plain v-necks on there!  Always some awful patterned junk.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards