Plus-Sized

Show us your plus size wedding gown!

Re: Show us your plus size wedding gown!

• @lynze425‌ - you look so beautiful in your dress!

Oleg Cassini dresses - from this true hourglass shape bride - are freaking amazing. Seriously, they all looked fantastic on, and sizing is actually fairly generous for bridal gowns. His dresses are absolutely meant for curves. Another lady tried on the ivory dress I got while I had the white on for size checking. She's gorgeous, but not very curvy and the dress did nothing at all for her. But the Vera dresses that were a hot mess on me were fantastic on her.
  • I found my dress!!! The original plan was to wait to try on dresses till November so I could lose some weight, but that didn't give me time to order a dress. I have on the 20, but ordered the 18 because i'd like to have atleast another 60lbs gone by wedding time. It has a corset so it gives me some wiggle room. I absolutely love it, and feel stunning even if I don't have the body I was hoping for. It's the 880W from Alfred Angelo Sapphire.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • Mine is not a traditional wedding gown, but it is dressier than I was first thinking since we're getting married in a hot air balloon in only a few weeks. My daughter cried when she saw me in it though, hopefully for good reasons :P

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is my dress......on a model. My mom picked it out and I loved it. We may add straps. I m going to ask them if they can make it a little more sweetheart cut. 7/3/15 is the wedding.
  • MrsB627MrsB627 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    I found my gown at The Curvy Bride in NJ... They cater specifically to plus sized ladies like us! I was able to try on any gown they had in the store. I am a street size 18 and they had wedding sizes up to a 32! No cookie cutter gowns either! All designers and not badly priced!

Best Wishes! 
    Justine

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had a terrible experience at David's bridal. It was nightmarish really... I am a younger bride, and so the staff seemed to think i was only there for dress up... After assuring them that I was in fact getting married, they began picking dresses for me... I knew all along i wanted a tea length gown.. I tried one on, and fell in love!! It was a few sizes too small, but I was told that they could get the gown in my size... I rang the bell, signaling to the store that I had chosen my dress.... I was taking pictures and celebrating finding THE one, when they came back to inform me that the dress he had put me in, did not come in the size I needed. I was crushed. I was crying.. They talked me into staying to try a few more on. I am a size 22, but the consultant brought be a size 14 and told me to try it on. I could not jam myself into it. I liked it enough looking at it that I was going to risk it and order it in my size... At that point my consultant told me that they could get it for me in my size in my short time-frame. So once again I rang the belll. Then I was told it was IMPOSSIBLE to get that dress in the timeframe. I came home crying and upset and decided to look online at used dresses..... It was then that I stumbled upon my dream dress.. I ordered it, and prayed that it would fit me right.. It fit like a glove... only minor alterations were required!!!
  • & it wont let me upload a pic of my dress.. :/
  • I was SO nervous to try on wedding dresses. I'm a street size, 18/20 and I was terrified that nothing would fit and that I would feel like a total cow in front of all of the other skinny brides. But I did some googling and only went to stores that carried plus size samples. I went to 4 stores and each of them had at least 20 dresses that fit me which was a nice self confidence booster. This was the first dress I tried on and it fit like a glove. I feel beautiful in it, but I'm still worried about feeling like a fat bride on my wedding day. I really hate my arms, but feel that boleros just emphasize the issue. Oh well, fake it til you make it, right?! : )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • this is me in my mori lee dress  julietta 3098 the day off that my mom took 
  • I was SO nervous to try on wedding dresses. I'm a street size, 18/20 and I was terrified that nothing would fit and that I would feel like a total cow in front of all of the other skinny brides. But I did some googling and only went to stores that carried plus size samples. I went to 4 stores and each of them had at least 20 dresses that fit me which was a nice self confidence booster. This was the first dress I tried on and it fit like a glove. I feel beautiful in it, but I'm still worried about feeling like a fat bride on my wedding day. I really hate my arms, but feel that boleros just emphasize the issue. Oh well, fake it til you make it, right?! : )
    Ahhh no, you have nothing to worry about!! That dress hugs you in all the right places...truly you look stunning!
    I agree with this. The more people do to try to hide the arms, the more people look.  your arms are fabulous.,  Don't worry about covering them.
    I agree with this. The more people do to try to hide the arms, the more people look.  your arms are fabulous.,  Don't worry about covering them.
    Ditto to all of this!
  • Thanks for the confidence boost ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is from the first time I tried on my dress. It made me feel thinner and good about myself. I love it and can't wait for my wedding to come!
  • jynxiiejynxiie member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    You all look gorgeous! I love the little details on yours @cmpenney88

I knew exactly what I was looking for when I went dress shopping.
    This was the second dress I tried.

This is the dress - Oleg Cassini

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love it. I am totally going to keep up with this board after the wedding, because I love looking at all the gorgeous dresses!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just want to say how awesome this board is. I have had the most horrid time with dress shopping. i have been treated like i am unfit to try on any dress because i am a big girl. this board has made feel truly inspired. thank you to all you lovely ladies in beautiful gowns
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm a street size 12/14 and ordered a bridal size 16W. Poor picture quality, but it is this one: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Sweetheart-Tulle-A-Line-Gown-with-Lace-Appliques-9V3587?cm_vc=Search
  • edited July 2014
    Just got my portraits back.  I am super in love with this dress.  I'm a street size 16, and I'm not actually sure what size this dress is.  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • Can a 14 play here? I measured at a 16/18 but with the deep V back, 14 works perfectly. Pictures are in a 12 and look like a hot mess, but the 14 was white and a vile color on me.
    Love your veil!!!
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • All gorgeous ladies!  The smiles on your faces just make the dresses!  My gown, street size 14, gown size 18.  Allure Bridal.  I so would not have chosen it if I saw it online.  As annoying as trying the dresses on can be, you really do need to see how the dress conforms to your body.

Congratulations to all!

Happiness is an inside job
  • Everyone looks so great in their dresses.  Have to share mine as well.  Size 18 from David's Bridal - and to me so much more flattering when it is on than just on the hanger.

• fbmandy55fbmandy55 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    Terrible cell pic from my stepmom. You can see the front and back. This was the first fitting so hopefully it looks much nicer when they take the top/chest up and in.

Not doing a veil, still need to figure out hair styles!

• I just want to start by saying that though I have lurked about the TK community, I have seldom posted. That being said, I think this is my favourite thread in the entire TK community, and so I wanted to share my dress with you.

I am getting married in December 2014, and this is my dress. It's an Alfred Angelo, size 20. I wear a street size 16/18.

I am adding a ribbon at the waist because I think it really helps define my waist (and gasp! makes it look tiny, when it really isn't!). The ribbon is a dark purple but I find that it looks almost black in these pictures. I am thinking of getting a lighter purple one instead, but am still unsure about that. Any suggestions?

I'm going shopping for a veil next week. Stuff is getting real!

• I just want to start by saying that though I have lurked about the TK community, I have seldom posted. That being said, I think this is my favourite thread in the entire TK community, and so I wanted to share my dress with you.

I am getting married in December 2014, and this is my dress. It's an Alfred Angelo, size 20. I wear a street size 16/18.

I am adding a ribbon at the waist because I think it really helps define my waist (and gasp! makes it look tiny, when it really isn't!). The ribbon is a dark purple but I find that it looks almost black in these pictures. I am thinking of getting a lighter purple one instead, but am still unsure about that. Any suggestions?

I'm going shopping for a veil next week. Stuff is getting real!

Your dress is beautiful!  I love the idea of a belt. Have you considered doing a blingy belt, and having the seamstress sew it in, instead of a colored belt?  Your dress is fabulous and I think the colored belt sort of makes it look a little more casual than the dress actually is (I hope that makes sense).  A blingy belt would still give you the waist definition, but wouldn't be so dark and be like "HI I'M WEARING A BELT!", and if the seamstress stiches it in, you won't have the long tail in the back.   Just something to consider.  :)
  • This is my dress!! http://www.bonny.com/collections/unforgettable/1420 I don't have any pictures of me in it yet (the sample was a little too small) but it is just stunning in person!! It will be perfect for my beach wedding in Maui in May!!
  • Your dress is beautiful!  I love the idea of a belt. Have you considered doing a blingy belt, and having the seamstress sew it in, instead of a colored belt?  Your dress is fabulous and I think the colored belt sort of makes it look a little more casual than the dress actually is (I hope that makes sense).  A blingy belt would still give you the waist definition, but wouldn't be so dark and be like "HI I'M WEARING A BELT!", and if the seamstress stiches it in, you won't have the long tail in the back.   Just something to consider.  :)
    Thanks! It was the very first dress I tried on, and even after trying 20+ other dresses at various dress shops, I ended up going back to this one.

I did consider going with a blingy belt, but I found them to be a bit overwhelming in the bling department. When I went veil shopping today, I tried on a lavender coloured belt and added a little bling to it. It looked really pretty (and sadly I didn't take a picture of it), so I'm probably going to go that route.

As for the long tail in the back, do most brides have their belts sewn in? I've tried looking for pics online to help me decide what to do, but most pictures only show the front.
  • Your dress is beautiful!  I love the idea of a belt. Have you considered doing a blingy belt, and having the seamstress sew it in, instead of a colored belt?  Your dress is fabulous and I think the colored belt sort of makes it look a little more casual than the dress actually is (I hope that makes sense).  A blingy belt would still give you the waist definition, but wouldn't be so dark and be like "HI I'M WEARING A BELT!", and if the seamstress stiches it in, you won't have the long tail in the back.   Just something to consider.  :)
    Thanks! It was the very first dress I tried on, and even after trying 20+ other dresses at various dress shops, I ended up going back to this one.

I did consider going with a blingy belt, but I found them to be a bit overwhelming in the bling department. When I went veil shopping today, I tried on a lavender coloured belt and added a little bling to it. It looked really pretty (and sadly I didn't take a picture of it), so I'm probably going to go that route.

As for the long tail in the back, do most brides have their belts sewn in? I've tried looking for pics online to help me decide what to do, but most pictures only show the front.

It really depends on what you want. The long tail sort of brings the formality of the dress down a bit.  A belt sewn in, and cut off at the back will just sort of give you the seperation you want, without having the tail covering the detail on the back of your dress.

Here are some examples of the sash with the tail and a couple of photos with sashes cut off and either sewn to the dress (prevents shifting around) or, they can add clips so it removes the tail, but isnt actually tacked on to the dress.

http://juliesdoodleblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/wedding-files-diy-satin-belt/

• XP: Just had my 2nd fitting!!!!!
    Getting pretty excited now :)