Plus-Sized

Bridal Bargins and where to buy your dress? Could be long! :o)

A good friend of mine passed along her "bridal bible" if you will, Bridal Bargins Book by Denise and Alan Fields. I've started reading this book and was just shocked at what all I needed to do as far as asking questions on certain topics etc...I recommend it to every bride on a budget!

About 9 months ago, I found my dress...It was perfect to me and made me feel skinny and gorgeous! I felt like I could conquer anything. Any plus size girl  knows that you have the right outfit on, you are rockin your self esteem and could take over the world! lol Anyway, We were  1 year out from our original wedding date. I go to order my dress, the store owner tells me that they, for someodd reason, can't get ahold of the designer! They've tried faxing, calling, emailing, everything short of carrier pegion! O.O That left me with one option...buying the sample dress. Problem was though, the owner was not willing to part with it for nothing less than what they charge for the dress BRAND NEW! Yes girls, he did! **insert shocked and horrified face here, cause I did!** I told him I was not paying full price for a dress that I didn't know how many others had tried on, stretched out, stepped on, etc. He also wouldn't have it cleaned. So I had to walk away from my dress...saddened.

Back to the  book...as I read along, I read that the dress has a order of how it arrives to the bridal stores. It is created by the designers...The sketches and patterns are shipped to China and sewn for the designer. It is then shipped to the designers ( add about $200-$500 mark up)...The designers send them to the US warehouses (Add more money here) and then sent to the retailers ( add final store mark up here) So you are looking at a dress that cost roughly $50 to make and has now changed hands3 times and with that, the dress price tag has gone up so you are easily looking at that dress going from $50 to final price tag of $1000! I was like WOAH! Um no! I read the next section about cutting out the middle man and going straight to the sewing party. in China. They listed their top picks for the Chinese seamstresses. With that info, I went and researched their sites, their eBay sites, nothing but POSITIVE and AWESOME reviews/feedback.

I've always been a little leary of ordering my dress online and from overseas. I did contact this one man in particular. He is in the "BEST" group in the book, also remember the friend who passed on this wealth of knowledge book to me? She ordered her dress from him. While I still felt nervous, I gave it a shot and emailed them my situation.  They replied the next day (for them anyway bc of the time diference) and answered all 23 questions I had! Very professional,, nice, English is very well spoken. He quoted me $420 to replicate my dress. That price also includes the $80 shipping and $35 for the custom petticoat that goes under the dress. So the dress itself is $305 and that is a custom dress. I can add and take away anything.

I wanted to pass this along to you all and let you know this is a fabulous option! There are other Chinese seamstresses who charge way way way less! I saw one dress for $17.50! It's just for the dress though, however the petti's run about $35 so you can't beat it.

Also, if you find that your bridal shop is charging you a "Shipping Fee" to have your dress shipped to the store, refuse to pay that! They aren't shipping the dress directly to your house! They are shipping it to themselves and it costs them next to nada to have it shipped and you still have to come pick it up! Chances are, other items they need for their store are coming with your dress from their warehouse and you just paid for their printer paper to be shipped! Regardless, you do not have to pay that! If they fight you on it, tell them you'll spend your money elsewhere, mostly likely they will back down.  If they don't, I'd walk out bc they obviously have no problem abusing their brides.

I'd also recommend the book. There are hundreds of ways to save money and have the wedding of your dreams.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Bridal Bargins and where to buy your dress? Could be long! :o)

• Jlp818Jlp818 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I read that book too!  They give some fab advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes they do! I LOVE it! I can't put it down! I recommend it to any bride!
  • I'm glad ordering from china seems to have worked out for you.  Did you receive your dress already?  I'd love to see pictures !

Just a chinese knockoff warning though... for every one person that it works out for, there are 1,000 who have horror stories.   I came very close to buying a knockoff...  and after I spent a few weeks doing research and reading reviews on the places I was going to use, I decided against it.   I didn't want to risk it.    And, ultimately, I'm glad I made the decision.  Of course, almost all garmants are manufactured in china.   But, I was happy to be able to support an independent businessess in my neighborhood.  And, I knew if there were any problems... I would have a local business to turn to to solve it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_bridal-bargins-and-where-to-buy-your-dress-could-be-long-o?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:7b801ea1-1399-4575-b10d-d38f48baee1aPost:35d00276-fe5b-4a4f-91db-d7a772df3f61">Re: Bridal Bargins and where to buy your dress? Could be long! :o)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm glad ordering from china seems to have worked out for you.  Did you receive your dress already?  I'd love to see pictures ! Just a chinese knockoff warning though... for every one person that it works out for, there are 1,000 who have horror stories.   I came very close to buying a knockoff...  and after I spent a few weeks doing research and reading reviews on the places I was going to use, I decided against it.   I didn't want to risk it.    And, ultimately, I'm glad I made the decision.  Of course, almost all garmants are manufactured in china.   But, I was happy to be able to support an independent businessess in my neighborhood.  And, I knew if there were any problems... I would have a local business to turn to to solve it.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Hi!
    No I haven't placed my order yet, still in the talks with this company. I have to admit that I am a little nervous still. I've always gone with my gut but being that a friend ordered hers from them and it turned out fabulous, I'm more tempted to try it. Especially being that my dress is no longer an option. I still want to do all the research I can, make sure all is well. I want to be 100% happy with my choice. I'll be more than happy to post pictures of any dress I purchase! Thanks for your input! :o)
  • I bought my dress on ebay from a company in the UK. It cost 60.00 including shipping. I was leary because of the chinese knockoff horror stories. It arrived. I loved it. My seamstress who shortened it, tightened up the bust and removed a bow I didnt like charged me 50.00. She said I got a deal as far as the quality. So I paid 110.00 dollars for a floor lenth formal gown that I love.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 66 image Invited
    45 image Are ready to party
  • read the post it tab on the Attire and Accessories board before ordering from over seas. Which dress are you looking for? There are tons of reputable used wedding dress sites where you can find it. Plus, as PP mentioned, Ebay can be a dream come true. I found my 1400 Maggie Sottero for 175 including S/H!! I guess I just know I could never purchase a dress from a knock off site.
  • dont worry about buying dress on the internet, my cousin bought hers from 7foxmall.com and the dress is amazing. try to ask a professional to take your bidy measurement to avoid any silly mistakes. 

Also, i heard that those factory that makes dresses which were sold online do make dresses for branded designers and bridal store around the world, so you dont have anything to wirry about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards