Plus-Sized
Options

Colored dress?

Hello!  I am new here and I have enjoyed reading all of these helpful posts so I figured I would ask for help. 

I am 5'2" and plus size 16. So I am a very stocky woman and I do not think that I look good in long gowns or white! I only own 1 white piece of clothing, and it was a gift from my mama.
For that reason, I am leaning towards wearing a short, colored gown. Maybe in a red or black color. I haven't told my mama about my intentions yet because my sister (the MOH) said she would flip. 

My fiance is also very vocal about wanting to see me in a white dress. He says red is too racy and if I wore black, I'd look like I was prepared for a funeral. I just want some opinions. Would it be tacky to wear a colored dress? 

"After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."

Re: Colored dress?

• Options
    I wouldn't call it tacky, but it is certainly a statement to wear a very colorful dress.  An ivory dress may work better with your skin tone, or you could consider a blush pink color, or a pale blue. 

I usually find a long dress to be more flattering, but then I'm not a fan of my legs.  I think you should try on a full length white wedding dress and then see what you think.  There are short brides who still wear long dresses and look great.  It is just a matter of finding the correct dress.

But if you don't like any of the lighter colors and you still want a shorter dress, go ahead and get a red or black one.  Other cultures always wear red as a wedding dress, and I think it is Vera Wang who showed a bunch of black dresses in her most recent collection. 

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have never been to a wedding or even heard of a wedding where the bride wore a bright color or black as their wedding dress.  A short dress is definitely something I could see a bride wearing as long as it wasn't a super formal wedding.  have you tried on ivory, off white, or maybe a champagne colored dress?  I'm wearing a white/off white or ivory colored dress and I am a much larger size then you are so I think you will be fine.  Just try some dresses on, you may be surprised! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about a white or ivory dress with a little bit of color? Maybe a sash or something to break up all the same color. That might be just enough color for you to make you feel a little better about wearing white.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    bruna29bruna29 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I will be honest and say that I went to a wedding one time where the bride wore a red dress (with some pick-ups and everything). Most of the guests side-eyed her attire, and that's pretty much the one thing people remember from that wedding.

I wouldn't say that it's "wrong" to wear a gown that is not white, but I personally am not a fan of such gowns. I think gowns with color on them (like a white gown with a red or black sash) look good, but an all red or an all black dress is kind of strange. There are also some beautiful gowns that come in ivory, cream, or champagne (not just stark white).

With that being said, it is your wedding. Wear what you feel most comfortable wearing!

ETA: I just read burtoffering's comment, and I agree that if your mom or a close family member is paying for your dress, then they do have more say in the dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I'm both shorter and wider than you are - hobbit shaped, I like to call it.  I had the same fear, that wearing white would make me look like a giant fat marshmallow.  I thought I would need color to look good.

When I found the right kind of dresses, I learned how wrong that was.  I'm more suited to an ivory or diamond white than pure white, but the right dress is gorgeous and more flattering than I thought any dress could be.

If you want to make a statement in a color dress, that's your call.  But don't let that statement be fear.  You have plenty of time; try some wedding gowns in different styles and see how you feel then.  I had wonderful success at an Alfred Angelo signature store, (<--- link) and there are several in Florida.  They also have a collection of more traditional gowns with some color, short white dresses, and very formal elegant bridesmaid dresses in any color that may provide some compromise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     I have always looked bad in white but actualy looked good in lots of ivory dresses. I would try on alot of different dresses and styles before you decide to go the colored route.

I have been to 2 weddings where the dress was not "bridal colored". One was a black gothic themed wedding and the other was an Indian wedding. Loved the Indian wedding but that is obviously "standard" for that  cuture. The gothic one worked for them but made me squirn (I hate goth).
  • Options
    I'm 5'2 and a size 16 as well.. short dresses make me look shorter - I went dress shopping fully intending on a 50's style tea length - they made me look wayyy shorter than I am.  I had my fiance take pics and it looked even worse than I thought I did in the mirror.  Try on all different dresses - you might be suprised what looks good - I ended up with a long dress in dark ivory with ruffles on the bottom which broke it up a bit... i feel amazing in it and it actually makes me look taller... go shopping with an open mind and if you find that dark colored dresses make you feel like the beautiful bride you'll be then go for it!  Just remember you only get one wedding with your FI..... it sounds like its important to him to see you as a "bride" and in men's minds - that normally includes a light colored dress :)
  • Options
    I agree with the other girls.  You will be surprised how much height the right dress will give you.  You may want to go with a dress with some color added to it.  Keep an open mind and try stuff out of your comfort zone.  I know my dress is so completely different than what I envisioned, and it is perfect.  Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the responses.

SO, after a long discussion with my MOH and my FI, I have decided to look around for ivory dresses since (1. They aren't white and 2. I was told that ivory would bring out my olive complexion). 
    Also, I feel that I am already 'rocking the boat' so to say because I am a small town southern white girl marrying a big city black man. I already have controversy there so I would rather people talk about how pretty my wedding is rather than be making snarky comments about my dress color. 

But again, thank you ladies. I really appreciate all of the wonderful advice!
    "After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."
  • Options
    The fact that an interracial/interarea marriage is considered 'rocking the boat' makes me sad :(

Good choice with the ivory, it will be beautiful!
  • Options
    What if you did a white dress with a color trim, and corset ribbon, etc?  David's Bridal has many gowns that you can do that with, and they are gorgeous.  

• Options
    I just noticed that your wedding is over 2 years away. You have tons of time to find omething. I actually wouldn't order it until your within a year since your tastes will probably change. I know the dress I almost bought 5 years ago I would NEVER even consider now.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_colored-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:803e0d7e-4d37-4a80-a470-00ecdc908b36Post:0adce44b-ffe0-46fb-b64c-39ecb11fdd99">Re: Colored dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just noticed that your wedding is over 2 years away. You have tons of time to find omething. I actually wouldn't order it until your within a year since your tastes will probably change. I know the dress I almost bought 5 years ago I would NEVER even consider now.
    Posted by mollyehren[/QUOTE]
    This. Good catch!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you should be able to get the dress you want. It is YOUR wedding day, after all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It is your day :) Wear what u want
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards