Plus-Sized

street size 28 wondering what designers and where to shop in Milwaukee Area

I wear a jean size of 28 and I have not started my dress shopping yet but I fear that I will not be able to find a dress that suits my size.  Are there dress shops in the Milwaukee, WI area that have gowns I would actually be able to try on?  What designers offer plus size dresses?

Re: street size 28 wondering what designers and where to shop in Milwaukee Area

• QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_street-size-28-wondering-what-designers-and-where-to-shop-in-milwaukee-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:99ad230b-25d1-4fdc-a530-542ebf5a7d49Post:9fc620fd-4c1a-43f1-9e53-32bd1767ff9f">street size 28 wondering what designers and where to shop in Milwaukee Area</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear a jean size of 28 and I have not started my dress shopping yet but I fear that I will not be able to find a dress that suits my size.  Are there dress shops in the Milwaukee, WI area that have gowns I would actually be able to try on?  What designers offer plus size dresses?
    Posted by jstorm000[/QUOTE]

I would suggest looking into Alfred Angelo and Mori Lee's Julietta line. Both offer great plus size designs and offer sizes up to 30. 

I will say this, most stores that carry those designers will usually have samples in a 20, give or take. Although, a few had samples in a 24.  don't let that discourage you.  Depending on your body type and the dress style, you can try on that size, they will just clip the back of the dress.

If you can locate an Alfred Angelo signature store, they will have a wider selection of sizes for you to try on.

My suggestion is go to those designer websites and look for stores near you.  Call the salons and tell them you are looking for large size samples and you need to know if they carry plus size samples over a size 24.  If they say no, or they only have 1-2 dresses, keep searching. 

Good luck!
  • PS -  Try looking at A-Line dresses. They are more forgiving.  I have a friend who is a size 28-30 street size, and she was able to try on 18/20s in Alfred Angelo because they were all A-Lines.
  • I live in Milwaukee and am a 20.  I recommend a short drive north on Hwy 45 to Hubertus to Amelishan Bridal.  They have a nice plus size section (the biggest selcetion of styles I saw and variety of sizes) and carry multiple designers (I know they carry the Julietta line).  David's Bridal also carries larger sample sizes and there are at least 2 locations in the area.  I got my dress at Savvy Bride in Brookfield and they had a nice selection of gowns that I could try as well, but I don't know how big of samples they carry.  When I called each store to set up an appointment I told them my size and asked if they had many samples I could try.  They were honest about what they carried since it would be a waste of their time to have me come in and have nothing to try.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I just got my dress at Davids bridal I LOVE IT! im a street size 30. They put it on with clips if they cant zip it up, and they were really nice. tomorrow they are still having the brides against breast cancer sale at the crown plaza motel in Milwaukee They said they would have dresses up to size 30. If i didnt have my dress i would chek that out

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • if you can make the drive to MN there are 2 specifically plus size bridal stores in minneapolis. one in luxe bridal and the other i think is glass slipper.

i'm a plus 28 too in jeans and i took like a 30/32 in bridal. my dress is a drop waist lazaro that is being custom made for my measurements (as it only goes up to bridal 28)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The David's Bridal in Brookfield was wonderful when I went to go try on the dress that I eventually bought.  I also recommend Vera's in Madison...a little bit of a drive, but they had a large selection of plus-size (I'm a 20-24, depending on the dress) and it was truly a wonderful experience!!  
  • Davids Bridal was great!  I am a size 26 dress, and had the same worries... I was pleasantly surprised how good they made me feel, they found dresses for me to try and actually knew what would look good on me better than I did!    Even dresses that were a few sizes too small were just pinned in the back so you can see what they look like.  I found a beautiful dress that I love and makes me look a few sizes smaller than I am!  Go in, have fun and know that no matter what our size is we all deserve to find our dream dress and have fun doing it!
  • I don't know about trying them on, but check out the Bonny Unforgettable line.  Their website will give you a list of retailers in your area who sell their dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • find out what designers you like for dresses find salons that carry the dress then contact manufactur or salon they can get larger sample sized dresses on loan from the designers for you to try on 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards