Plus-Sized
Options

Nails??

I don't have the prettiest natural nails, and I really don't have the patients to grow them out. I want pretty nails, but really don't want acrylic nails. What are my other options?

Re: Nails??

• Options
    Shellac is your new best friend. Looks like regular nail polish (but a bit more shiney) and lasts chip free for 2 weeks.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    shellac or a gel manicure..much healthier for your nails then the acrylic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Shellac, but make sure to put some spf on your hands before the treatment, as it's a UV dryer.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sallys sells a gel polish called Gelous Nail Gel. You can do it at home, just like polish.  Costs about 8 bucks, and you can take it off with acetone remover. 
  • Options
    I like the Gelish with the UV lamp - I even bought my own kit a year ago since i was paying about 20-25 once a month to get them done and the total kit was like 100 -
    http://www.shearup.com/nail-harmony-gelish-promo-kit-1/ this is like what i got but it did not have the files & on sale over a year and a half ago
    for the wedding i do plan to be pampered and have some one else do them in a French cause i just cant...

This is just a thicker polish - it does not lengthen or shape your nails - i am lucky and have long nail beds so they look longer polished.  I also have been using hoof ( yes as in horse hoof) cream on my nails to help them grow out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    EastSideBlonde, has the hoof cream been working??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    i think it has been working to make them healthier... my nails normally bend and peel - i have always been able to grow about a quarter inch of white so not sure if the hoof cream helped with growth- they have just holding up better and i think look nicer - by no means perfect
    i just took some cell pics of my naked nails at my desk for you lol and i did not use it today but I have been putting it on when i get in the car and letting it sit on the nail as i drive to the office about 45minutes

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    If you are wanting to grow your own nails Biotin works great. I tried to so many things and decided to start taking Biotin every day and it really worked. They grow faster and are stronger. I also used some type of nail strengthener by OPI (don't remember the name but you use it like a base coat). If you google Biotin for Nails you will get a whole bunch of info about it. Warning: it does break some people out in the beginning. It did for me, but that was short lived. You don't want to try this right before your wedding to experiment.
  • Options
    Shellac is your best friend!  I plan on getting mine done about 5 weeks before the wedding, then 3 weeks before the wedding and then the week of the wedding.  I'm a nurse and it really does last a full 2 weeks for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards