Plus-Sized

strapless bra hell

ladies please help! I have gone shopping now three times for a decent strapless bra.
I ended up buying one at LB. It fits, and its OK, its pretty comfy for a few hours- but then it starts to feel so heave beacuse its GIGANTIC
i mean like totally padded, molded cup. 5 hooks in the back, old school ridiculous

So i went to put on this dress I am wearing to my friends wedding- and it doesnt FIT anymore. I only tried the dress on with a regular bra- not a super padded strapless molded cup bra and now its too tight in the chest and making those lines across where the material is pulling.So I ended up buying another dress now.

IS THERE NOT a plus size bra out there that is strapless without molded cups?! I am thinking back a few years ago when I was just a 36 C and I had a strapless bra, it had two wires and then it was like spandex across. It was so comfy I wore it a lot....it didnt add anything extra and it was just enough support

I am now a 42 DD...help!

www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: strapless bra hell

• gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I am also a 42DD.  I have a strapless from LB that I wore for the wedding that I love (it is a convertible and I usually wear it with straps).  I have had MUCH better luck going to a local lingerie boutique for other bras.  I was fitted properly and was able to try on a number of different styles do find ones that worked for me.  They did cost a little more (~$100 each), but are SO well made and supportive (and have held up very well for over a year).  I would try to find a local specialty store and look there - most carry a very wide size range.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • kikirst33kikirst33 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Have you checked for any speciality bra stores in your area?  The bras will not be cheap but the one locally here carries all sizes - and I mean ALL sizes.  I'm not talking Nordstrom's but a true bra/lingerie store only.  It's worth the extra money and they usually carry different options even for the plus-size gals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am currently in strapless bra hell trying to find something to go under my wedding dress!  I have tried and returned 9 bras and corsets at this point.  I wear a 44DD.  I thought I finally found one that worked, but then my dress wouldn't zip up anymore.  Ugh ugh ugh.

Anyway, the Goddess longline strapless is not padded.  It gave me a bit of the pointy-boob effect, so I ditched it.  

GOOD LUCK!
  • my next step was to go to the local lingerie store
    but i didint want to shell out an arm and a leg to get a strapless bra to go under strapless summer dresses ya know?er
  • smilesavysmilesavy member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    My recommendation is to go to a store and get measured first off....I was wearing a 42DD and thought my boobies looked good...I went and got measured, I measured at a 38GG!!!  I had no clue how bad my boobies looked in those other bras.  They have bras there (I paid $50 for a regular one) that you can try on and get a good feeling on them.  They won't let you leave with a bra that looks bad on you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go local  - I was measured and was in the correct size 44D but we tried on about 5 or 6 long line strapless all the same size and they were all over the place - too big, too tight, lumpy, bumpy pointy lol
    the one i got looked & felt good and was l think $38 -
    I did pick up 3 other bras when i was there and they wanted me to get wedding night stuff  so there was a bit of a sales pitch - over all worth the hour and a half drive to find the old school Lingerie Shop
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • I don't know if you have a Cato's where you live, but they have some strapless bras in the style you descibed like you use to have. Also if you look online at http://www.hipsandcurves.com they have a good selection of bras and corsets.. I love their products.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • kellyelizkellyeliz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Im a 42d and got one at Target - only because I'm going on vacation today and didn't have time to go to a specialty store and needed it for a dress I bought for the trip. I actually really like it and it was under $20. Not overly padded at all! ETA: it's also 4 way convertible
    June 2013 January Sig - Honeymoon Destination
    Negril, Jamaica!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've had the same problem over and over and oveeeeer... I live in a very small rural town in upstate NY so there are no lingerie boutiques (at least, that I've found, and dear God, I've looked), can't really afford to go to NYC for the day, and really can't find anything at lane bryant that I'm happy with putting under my dress (http://allurebridals.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=5g2g9g2676113G280h39). Le. Sighe. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker I feel like I'm counting down the minutes until I marry my best friend
  • I know it might be a little late, but an awesome place to get nice bras cheap is brastop.com. It's a UK site and their in UK sizes, so you gotta see your size conversion (this site can convert sizes  http://www.85b.org/bra_conv.php) I got my last bra here for like $20 for a really nice one that costs way more in the states. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_strapless-bra-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:e8e425e0-40cd-440c-8013-de6e66346be0Post:2e003d54-f35b-4d07-a2b0-5d8443a0387c">Re: strapless bra hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know it might be a little late, but an awesome place to get nice bras cheap is brastop.com. It's a UK site and their in UK sizes, so you gotta see your size conversion (this site can convert sizes  <a href="http://www.85b.org/bra_conv.php" rel="nofollow">http://www.85b.org/bra_conv.php</a> ) I got my last bra here for like $20 for a really nice one that costs way more in the states. :)
    Posted by Amsdragonfly[/QUOTE]

How is the shipping ??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_strapless-bra-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:e8e425e0-40cd-440c-8013-de6e66346be0Post:6d276a7e-6670-4b5f-93c3-c2938964ed8a">Re: strapless bra hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: strapless bra hell : How is the shipping ??
    Posted by EastSideBlonde[/QUOTE]

<div>Surprisingly cheap. I think mine was between $5-7 but that was a few months ago. It was totally worth it though for a bra that actually fits and feels right. :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Completely unrelated, but if any of you would like to throw some of your extra chest my way, I'd appreciate it. I was hoping since I'm plus sized, I'd get some extra chest. No such luck. =[

I hope you find a bra that works!
  • i am that same size (thanks to my child) and have a huge fear of strapless bras not working.

a fear so big that my dress has straps wide enough to hide bra straps. 

so i have no advice, but i wish you luck in your quest!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_strapless-bra-hell?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:e8e425e0-40cd-440c-8013-de6e66346be0Post:c05dec0e-2492-47b7-96e8-cc558df3bb56">Re: strapless bra hell</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im a 42d and got one at Target - only because I'm going on vacation today and didn't have time to go to a specialty store and needed it for a dress I bought for the trip. I actually really like it and it was under $20. Not overly padded at all! ETA: it's also 4 way convertible
    Posted by kellyeliz[/QUOTE]

Thanks I';m going to check for this here before I got a speciality shop.I tried on my one from lane bryant again- its awful
  • I got a great Freya strapless from Nordstrom in 34FF. They did have to order it in, but were able to fit me with a slightly different Freya bra in the store in the right size, so that worked out really well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards