Plus-Sized
Options

MOTB having a hard time finding a dress

My mother is super picky and prone to waiting to the last minute to do things because finding stuff to wear to big events freaks her out. Using that strategy, her dress and hair ended up being disasters for my wedding (complete with sad faces in every photograph). I'm not letting that happen for my sister's wedding. But now my mom is coming down to visit me this weekend and I'm expected to help her find this elusive dress. Any suggestions? 

Have you ever noticed where fuller sized mothers of the bride find dresses? She is large on top (three kids), which makes it hard to fit into standard sizes.

Re: MOTB having a hard time finding a dress

• Options
    Where does she normally shop?  Macys and many other major department stores often carry a variety of dresses in all sizes.  David's Bridal carries MOB dresses and a variety of plus-sizes.  They tend to be a little matronly in my experience, but in all reality a BM dress could be a MOB dress too if she likes the style. 

I personally have found some great things at Dress Barn and my mom likes to shop there too - they have a variety of styles and I can usually find a pretty good selection in my size since half the store is committed to plus sizes.

Check out some stores online and see if they carry your mom's size and styles she'd like.  For bigger on top (I assume you mean tummy more so than boobs with the kids comment?) I'd recommend an a-line and/or empire waist.  A jacket may also make her more comfortable - a little more structure to give shape.
  • Options
    I'm also heavy up top and find that Dress Barn carries lots of stretch type dresses that fit perfectly.

• Options
    Another suggestion for Macys.  if you go to a larger Macys, they normally have a lot of formalwear in plus sizes.  Keep in mind, if she is larger on top, you may have to buy her a larger size and have it altered so it fits her correctly.  Proper alterations can make a HUGE difference in how things fit/feel.
  • Options
    Just know that you will have to get it altered.   I am a plus size bride buying a much larger gown because I am so much smaller up top.  So get buy what fits and looks good and head out for alterationls.

Also scroll the Internet for plus size mother of the bride gowns.  They have several sites you just can't going to try them on. I suggest if youcan go get measured so you can stat off looking at the most appropriate sized dresses for her.
  • Options
    I bought my mother a dress from Macy's and she loves it.  They have constant sales and you can get on their emailing list for store coupons.  She's usually a size 22W-24W.  
  • Options
    My mom had great luck at Lord and Taylor and Macy's for my sisters and that is where we are going to look for hers and my fiance's mothers dress too. Any big department store should have something.
    Bunny ??
  • Options
    You're biggest problem is that the stores are empty right now. There are dressy dresses marked down to some great buys, but none of the spring stuff is in yet in, well in New York anyway. If you find slim pickings, try in March when the stores will have all their Easter dresses in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards