Maine

where did you get your alterations?

Hi! I just ordered my dress from andrea's today, and I called the seamstress they suggest, but I felt it was kinda of pricey. Where did you get your alterations done? I jsut need a hem and bustle
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: where did you get your alterations?

• edited December 2011
    The seamstress they recommend I believe is Sarah M. who works out of the time and temp building and although she may be a bit pricey, she gets RAVE reviews. I got my alterations done by a private seamstress that my mom knows up in Oakland. This lady was SO SO SO nice, and she only charged me $21 for the hem and bustle, but the bustle was fairly simple and didn't really serve its purpose of keeping the train from dragging. If Sarah M. hadn't been booked solid I would have gone with her even though she's more expensive.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been wondering about this too! I got my dress at David's. Would anyone recommend getting it altered there? I really don't want to spend a lot! But I suppose it's worth it...
    Anniversary
  • kay0003kay0003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Andrea's as well, and they recommended Sarah.  I actually have my first fitting with her a week from today and I'M SO EXCITED!!!  I have to have the dress altered quite a bit because I bought it "off the rack".  I saved a lot of money this way, so I figure I can spend a little more on the alterations.I know that Portland Dry Cleaners on Allen Ave has seamstress services and I've seen bridal gowns in there.  I can't speak to their quality though....
  • edited December 2011
    don't get alterations done at David's.  I haven't heard any good stories.I do recommend going to an independent seamstress/alterations shop.  I scoured the yellow pages for possibilities, and actually ended up having mine done by a friend of the family - and she did it perfectly!  She's not in the phone book.  I just asked around with friends and family.  There's obviously some risk in using someone who isn't well known, but that's often where you'll get the best deals.
  • edited December 2011
    I got recommended to Sara today too and she quoted me 250-350 dollars. and that's ridiculous. I called several places today and all were 70-100 dollars.
  • edited December 2011
    Don't do David's. Call Sarah Michniewicz in the time & temp building - 879-7397.
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    Also, this was posted from a bride in '07: If anyone needs a seamstress in the portland area, I highly recommend Dragica (c=k sound) Glisic. She is from Yugoslavia and has been designing, making, altering,etc dresses for over 20 years. She works out of her home on Capisic Street and has been extremely professional to work with. She came up with a ton of ideas on how to alter my dress, especially the length. The best part is that she is VERY inexpensive. for my bustle, hem (6" off), sides taken in she only charged me $130. compared to the over $300 Sarah M quoted me. I haven't said anything about this great find because I didn't know if she wanted new customers! I asked yesterday and she doesn't mind! So there you go ladies~~ a gem! 207-773-0441 (don't be afraid that her husband's english is not so great :-) )
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Jamie! I made an apt with Sara m and as we were getting off the phone she gave me a price quote. After I got off the phone, I thought about it, and realized that seemed very very high. It's not til feb, so I am canceling. I'll check out that other woman. 350 is almost half the cost of my dress. I can't see paying that when its a pretty simple bottom.
  • JaimeMarieBJaimeMarieB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Veronica's Creations in Greene.  She charged me a flat fee of 55 dollars.  For my brides maid dresses she charged 35 dollars. This includes steaming.   The only thing I would recommend is have your bridesmaids try the dresses on before leaving the shop.
  • edited December 2011
    Sarah M is an amazing seamstress, she works wonders with any dress. Will hold your dress for you if you need her to, and is just a wonderful lady. You get what you pay for, and she is worth every penny.
    image The way life should be-
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards