Maine

Cheap Flowers/Cake

alwadwalwadw member
First Comment
Hey ladies!
The two final big items on my list is flowers and cake. Both were not high on either of our priority list. Were getting married October 1st, 2011 in Auburn, ME. Any recommendations? Ways to save $, cheap vendors, etc...

Re: Cheap Flowers/Cake

• edited December 2011
    have you thought about doing silk flowers? thats what we are doing, and they are alot less expensive. especially if you get them at Michaels or AC moore- and you find a coupon.. they almost ALWAYS have coupons in the newspaper flyers- also, if you buy the Martha Stewart Weddings magazine that is out right now (its a DIY issue) there is a 20% your entire purchase coupon for Michaels.  plus you can buy them way ahead of time and they don't die :-)
  • plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought Jessica from Nothing Bakes Like a Parrott had good cake at really reasonable prices. I bet if you tried to negotiate with her, you might be able to since she's a solo-baker. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • edited December 2011
    Look at buying locally grown flowers from a nearby farmer.  You'll be saving money (probably) and staying green!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    edited December 2011
    we're doing diy flowers we're buying from samsclub.com

you can also look at sites like fiftyflowers.com

for cake we're going to Bri Sorcorro. Her cakes are 2.75 a slice for butter cream, and $3 for fondant. Her cakes are gorgeous and she's based in Turner. Her delivery fee is only $15. PM me if you want her website/contact info.
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used fake flowers for my bouquets and was very pleased with how they turned out.  If you hit some sales, you can really score some good deals.  I used real flowers for my centerpieces - I was able to get 12 jumbo hydrangea stems for $70 from BJs - they have a 13 inch bloom and I only needed one per table.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I used Davis Florist in Rumford, which may be a little far for you to travel, but we got a great deal!!  I think a lot has to do with what kind of flowers you want, and if they are in season or not. This is the best pic I have so far of my flowers:

I got my cake from Heavenly Delights bakery, in Augusta.  The baker is Deb Golden, and she did a great job.  She was the least expensive that I found for fondant, but her buttercream frosting is to die for.  Here is my cake:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am using sams club for most of my flowers, though I am having my bouquet done by a florist, because I wasn't abl to get only 2-3stems of the flowers I wanted for it.

My bouquet and the cake are both being purchased at The Bankery and fleuriste in Skowhegan.  The prices are very reasonable and working with them has bee an excellent experience.  I can't wait to see the finished product in less than 2 months!
  • HE&MEHE&ME member
    edited December 2011
    You might want to have the bouquets for the wedding party professional done, then buy bouquets from Hannaford for the tables.  They have gorgeous flowers right now for $10 per bouquet.  You can even check out Goodwill & Salvation Army for vases.  Hannaford & Shaws even do a pretty decent wedding cake for a fraction of what a baker would charge.  Good luck!
  • jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    edited December 2011
    oh also, traderjoes if you're going to go the grocery store route are cheaper than hannaford or shaws and they tend to have fancier flowers.
  • alwadwalwadw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow thanks guys! Great ideas. I don't really want fake flowers :( But I'm not doing flower centerpieces so that will save some of the cost. And we aren't really interested in fondant so that will save some $ plus were thinking sheet cakes. As far as what flowers we want...cheapest is best. Our colors are red and brown and were going with a fall theme. I'm def. going to check all of these ideas/options out. Thanks again folks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_cheap-flowerscake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:13c3e727-3c9c-419a-abdd-92cefa4a7c2aPost:42f46caf-f0d6-45de-8a9b-6b8e36fe230f">Re: Cheap Flowers/Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used Davis Florist in Rumford, which may be a little far for you to travel, but we got a great deal!!  I think a lot has to do with what kind of flowers you want, and if they are in season or not. This is the best pic I have so far of my flowers:<strong> I got my cake from Heavenly Delights bakery, in Augusta.  The baker is Deb Golden, and she did a great job.  She was the least expensive that I found for fondant, but her buttercream frosting is to die for</strong>.  Here is my cake:
    Posted by dmcphee[/QUOTE]

This is who we are using!! When we went to taste, we picked four flavors. She had one cupcake of each flavor, for both FI AND I! All of them were AMAZING!

She was the only one that did fake cakes. I didn't want a huge cake to feed all our
    guests (I like the small, three tiered cakes). So she is doing fake cake, which is cake on the top tier, styrafoam on the bottom two and frosts them all. After we do the cake cutting, they take it out back "to cut up" and then they actually serve the sheet cakes we buy instead. We paid less than $300 for the fake cake, 1.5 sheet cakes, and another small cake (for my cousin's 21st birthday which is on our wedding). She was definitely the cheapest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards