Maine
Options

How much did you pay for music?

Hey everyone my FI and i arent sure what we want for reception music; dj or band? dunno. What did you do and how much was it? Also, what did you do for the ceremony.
Honeslty i have no idea about how a wedding works...AT ALL I dont understand how one event leads into the next (from the hair and makeup to the ceremony to the reception, to what happens after) so if you can be detailed i would really appreciate it!!

Re: How much did you pay for music?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We paid over $3K for a band, it was a 9 piece band that was amazing! People still talk about them to us. My SIL just booked a DJ for $1k. There is quite a range of prices for music. Do you want them for the ceremony and reception? If so that will cost more. Is your reception the standard 4 hrs, or is longer? Are they playing at cocktail hour? GL
    image The way life should be-
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A band will most likely cost more than a DJ. You can find DJs who range from $600 to $1,000, I would say. I don't knwo about bands but I would say at least $2,000. It seems like a lot of girls on this board are hiring musicians for their ceremony, but a DJ can do the music too.

I would Google wedding day timelines to find out how things work. That will help you figure out what you should consider when planning your own day. But these days you can pretty much do whatever you want -- there are no hard and fast rules.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We booked our musician/DJ for about $1500 for about 6 hours of service. He does classical guitar for the ceremony, live music for the cocktail hour, and DJs for the reception. It's great becuase there's a bit of something for everyone. He did our friends' wedding in October and he did an amazing job. He's also been really great to deal with.

His name is Aaron Denny - here's a link to his site: http://www.aarondenny.com/weddingpackages.cfm
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dmartineau1dmartineau1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow Aaron looks amazing! I wish we could have him, but its just wayyyy out of our budget with the traveling fees and fees for special songs :-/ I will definitly be looking for more like him!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our DJ was $800 for 6 hours of music, including cocktail hour. We found another DJ that was a little over $100 less than that, but we weren't impressed with him, so we felt like we were really getting the best service with the $800 DJ.

For someone like Aaron, you might be hard pressed to find anyone cheaper than $1500. Seems like a really great deal! But I hear you about the money. You might be able to find someone who is less experieced and looking to build a reputation. Some people have recommended trying the music departments of local colleges for talented student groups or maybe even professors who would do performances on the side.

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mikell22mikell22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked Aaron Topher and will pay about 1200! for dj, no limit on time for reception and live piano music for cermony and cocktail hour.  They are listed right here on the KNOT and have been excellent to work with so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards