Maine
Options

When/how did you know he was the one?

We need to get this board going! Someone asked this on the June 2010 board and I thought it was fun.

How/when did you know he was the one? Was there one moment, or was it something that developed over time? Share your sappy stories!

Here's mine: For our first anniversary, at the end of November, FI surprised me with a romantic overnight trip to the Samoset Resort in Rockland. He knows how much I love Christmas, so he took me to the town's annual Christmas tree lighting, where we had hot chocolate and cookies and watched them light up the tree (made of lobster traps!).

We went out to a really nice dinner after, and he asked me if I had thought a year ago when we first started dating that we'd be sitting here celebrating our one-year anniversary. He said he'd always known, even from the beginning, that I was the one. We both started crying telling each other how much the past year meant to us and how happy we were to be together.

FI says he knew way before that, though. Guess I'm slow!
Anniversary

Re: When/how did you know he was the one?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    aww Cute Post!

I guess I knew when we had been together about 7 or 8 months. My FI is a nurse and was working as a camp nurse in Sweeden ME. I only could see him once a week and we had been attached at the hip since our very first date. I had no idea how much I would miss him. When I went to the camp the first weekend to see him we went to watch the kids preform (it was a music camp).  We went to dinner and ice cream in the close town nearby. It was so simple, but I knew that night that he was the one....watching the way he was with the kids at the camp, its like a light went on...he told me he knew before that.

and 6 months later he proposed!

• Options
    dmartineau1dmartineau1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww this is cute, it makes me all teary-eyed lol

For me it definitly happened over time. We had a rough first year because he had been with a very over protective and jealous girl just before we started dating and wasn't use ot me being independent. I had concerns about his temper, but as the first few years went by he grew up in a big way. I started to see how unique and amazing he is. He is unlike any other person (let alone man) that i have ever met. The perfect combination of sweet, caring, honest, funny, motivated. One day (not sure when exactly) it hit me that i had found my true soul mate. He really is my best friend!
    I've never asked him when he knew I was the one, but I think I knew before him. Now i'm definitly going to ask!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay, thanks for sharing! Cute stories!

I can't believe with all the girls who responded to the getting to know each other post that we only have TWO responses. I do not know what to do to liven up this board! So thanks for participating :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

we actually broke up for about a month or two before either of us realized that we needed each other.  Both of us were so miserable when we were apart that we knew we were meant to be together. He called me up late one night and said he wanted me to come back and that he missed me more than anything. About a month later he proposed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For us, I would say we both knew within the first few weeks if not our first date.  It was homecoming of my sophmore year in high school (he was the senior football captain).  FI was kind of shy and he was good friends with my best friends brother, so even though we has spent several nights around the campfire in the same group we had never talked to eachother. 

After the homecoming dance we went out to our friend's camp and sat at the camp fire and got to know each other,  FI had a paper route that he had to do starting at 2am.  He asked if I wanted to ride along, and I figured why not.  So I rode around town with him while he delivered papers and we got to know eachother some more.  After the paper route was finished, we went back to camp and as we parted to the diferent buildings as the sun was coming up over the lake we had our first kiss (i know this is going to sound so movie sappy)  it was as though we were the only two people on earth and everything around us just stopped.  It was at that moment that I knew that he was the one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK Min - here's mine!

Will and I had been together for about three years when I finally realized he was "the one." Before that, I was a pessimist about love and marriage and all that - never thought of myself as the marrying type, and certainly hadn't used the "L" word in a very long time. 

Anyway, I was living in NH at the time and he was living up here in Maine. I came up one weekend to visit him but had to get back early on Sunday to work. When I woke up to leave, it was blizzarding. So I packed my little Toyota and ventured off. He told me to call him if I needed help. I got stuck about 2 miles down the road and was hysterical because I almost flipped my car. He came with his roommate to rescue me, and proceeded to drive my car all the way to the highway while the other followed us. He went so far out of his way to make sure I was safe. Before getting out of the car he said, "How much do you love me?" I told him that was a very strong word. He told me he loved me, kissed me on the cheek, and let me go on my way.

:-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love it, lashley! I cannot picture you as a love pessimist, btw! I'm glad he won you over :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    2003HemiGirl2003HemiGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    About 2 weeks after our "first date" - which consisted of pizza delivery and a beer!  Hahaha! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards