Mississippi
Options

Just Got Engaged...Gulf Coast Brides I need some advice!!

Hi, everyone. My name is Monique and I just got engaged. So, I'm new to this wedding planning and I guess any suggestions that anyone can offer will be a help. The main thing I'm concerned about is finding a church to have the ceremony at. The reason being is I do not have a church home and do not know what rules most churches have or where to start to look. So, any advice anyone has will be a BIG HELP!!!

Re: Just Got Engaged...Gulf Coast Brides I need some advice!!

• Options
    LovesMMLovesMM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where in the Gulf Coast are you getting married?I live in Louisiana but I'm getting Married in Biloxi. Just ask if you need help. The board is kind of dead but I check in every day to see if there are any new posts. Welcome and Congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we dont have churches but there are a lot of venues/receptions places listed on our little mississippi website page- www.mississippibrides.googlepages.com - click on the 228 section.we are getting married outside, but i did talk to one church that we do not belong to and they were happy to let us use the church, so i would say just decide where you want to do it (which town) and start looking and calling.  what town is it and what denomination?  if it's gpt, i might be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would like to get married in Biloxi, but Gulfport and Ocean Springs would be find. Really just looking for a small church that would hold about 75-100. As far as demonation is concerned we are both Baptist.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm going to think about it.  i dont really know the rules either, but someone else on this board might.  im trying to think of a pretty little baptist church but none come to mind off the top of my head.  here's just some brainstorming.i went to a recital today at st mark's episcopal on cowan-lorraine/taylor rd - very pretty little church and they have a parish hall there for a small reception or you could have a reception right down the road 1/4 mile at bayou bluff which is also nice (casual, but pretty.)  they may rent the church out, i dont know.if you consider getting a preacher to come out and marry you somewhere else- the old place in gautier (near ocean springs) is gorgeous.the great southern club (gpt)- i've been to several receptions there and they can set it up for weddings also.magnolia hall at florence gardens (gpt) they have a super wedding coordinator there - john folding, (im not having it there but he is helping me with flowers) and they have good food- you could do it there or there are 2 baptist churches that i know of within about 10 mins or so if you wanted to have the ceremony at a church and reception there.  one called crosspoint - it's a new building and the pastor there is really cool.  the other is first baptist gpt, which is also a new church bldg.  bayou view baptist- i love their preacher- chris king.  that church is building a new sanctuary right now so they've got some construction going on over there but it may be done before you need it.if pass christian is a possibility and you have a decent sized budget- oak crest mansion is beautiful and they have a little chapel there.  not sure how many the chapel seats, it's small, but it might fit 75.http://mississippibrides.googlepages.com/228%3Aplacestogetmarried
  • Options
    LovesMMLovesMM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much about the Baptist Churches but I'm getting married at Bethel Lutheran Church and the reception will be held at the Donal Snydr Community Center.The Community Center is really affordable. They have a multipurpose room with attached kitchen that is avaliable for rent for $150. You have to put a $100 deposit that is refundable after 6-8 weeks after the event. If you want the city to clean up after the event it's an additional $150.The room holds 169 people and is a blank canvas. It has really large pretty windows that look out to Pass Road. If you book through them you are required to have security in the form of police and fire. I'm having about 120 people and we need 2 police and 1 fireman. The fee for all three for 5 hours comes out to $225.My Photographer is Teri McCormack from Simply Vogue Photography. She has been very easy to deal with. We are paying $800 for unlimited hours, at least 150 images with photoshop enhances. 13- 8x10 and a cd with copyright release and 3 photo albums.If you need ANY help with anything please don't hesitate to ask or page me on this board. To page just make a new post with my name as the subject.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BiloxiGirl98BiloxiGirl98 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am from Biloxi and am getting married in Ocean Springs at a small church.  Let me know what you need help with and I will see what I can do.  The church is Bellehaven House of Praise, it is cute and quaint AND has a great reception hall.  They really have no rules..if you want the Pastor to do the ceremony they usually want to sit down with you both first, as most churches.  Our long time friend is a judge in Biloxi and he will be performing our ceremony.  You can email me too @ sarah.gladish@gmail.com......CONGRATS!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First, I just want you all to know that I have read everything wrote to me and i just want to say thank you for all the advice that you all wrote...it's been really helpful to me...we've decided to have a small wedding with about 100 close family and friends...so, we are looking around for small churches that would seat people comfortable....i have called around to some churches and just waiting for them to call back...so, the next step is finding a reasonable carter and place to have the reception and we'll go from there...i guess the one thing i was wondered did anyone handmake any of their decorations such centerpieces and bouquets or did anyone have a professional do the work...just curious...kinda on the fence as to what to do...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im doing a few diy projects, and they all are taking me twice as long as i planned on, although i like how they are coming out.  whatever you take on, start far enough ahead that it's not going to stress you out.  the knot's main diy message board is a really really good resource for ideas and inspiration.  some of those girls have done some very cool things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards