Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Roles for mother of the bride

i'd like to figure out something to honour my mum during the ceremony or at reception... my dad's walking me down the aisle... they're divorced, so don't want both.  i'm not a fan of the unity candle idea, and we're considering the new 'sand' idea to take place of the unity candle... having her do a reading wouldn't work cus she wouldn't speak in front of others...

thoughts? ideas?  maybe just give her my bouquet? or is that tacky?

Re: Roles for mother of the bride

• Options
    You could give your mom and FI's mom each a rose at some point during the ceremony.
  • Options
    I've been both MOB and MOG, and I have to say that I didn't really need anything else to feel "involved".  I was so delighted to be able to watch my DD walk down the aisle.  I was thrilled to watch my son's face as he watched the love of his life walk down the aisle toward him.

Have you asked your mom what she'd like, if anything?  It could be that you're thinking she wants more than being the MOB, when she really doesn't.

Anyway, if you want to honor her, another thought is to forgo the bouquet toss at the reception, and instead, present your bouquet to your mom with a little speech about how much she means to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2010
    I agree with Trix.  I didn't need any special public display to feel honored.  I just wanted to be able to enjoy the day, and see her happily married.

But my DD's wedding was mostly DIY, and I was very involved in putting it together.  So the quality time we spent together was the best gift and honor I could imagine.  I took her shopping for her dress, spent hours asking about her preferences, tastes, and wishes, doing the flowers, decorating, and helping her get ready on her big day. 

So if you two get along, without her taking over your planning decisions, then involve her in the planning process.  Or give her a kiss or a rose on your way down the aisle, make sure you have a few special photos together, a special, heartfelt letter of thanks, or make her a scrapbook of you and her from when you were a baby, to your wedding pictures. 

Or have a special song dedicated to your mom at the reception.  My DD and I had a special mother/daughter dance at the reception, but that might not be for everyone. (we danced to "Days like this" by Van Morrison, not too sappy, just right in tempo).

And yes, giving her your bouquet would be nice too, but not necessary. 
  • Options
    We presented roses to our moms after the sand ceremony.  Pics in married bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_roles-mother-of-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:1a971812-4993-44a8-967e-9ce25327dccaPost:f792c1cd-0e35-401b-99ab-01a2e9840413">Re: Roles for mother of the bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]We presented roses to our moms after the sand ceremony.  Pics in married bio.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

sorry to tread steal but danieliza i love the pic of your husband dancing with one of the groom's men!!! that is funny!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    FI and I are having a Rose Ceremony to honor our Moms. This will take place at the beginning of the ceremony. We are writing letters and putting them in a scroll to present to them. I am also giving my mom a Pandora Bracelet with beeds in the birthstone colors of my FI, his daughter and myself, at the rehersal dinner. I am asking my dad and my sister and brother to get beeds in their birthstones also, together with my brother-in-law and and nephew. This is the first big wedding in our family and it will represent my mom becoming a grandmother and mother once again. My siblings are very excited for this, they said it makes them feel so much more involved in the wedding than they are already, and these little gestures will mean so much to them.

PS. we are giving our fathers watches also.
    both ceremonies are a surprise to our parents.
  • Options
    At our wedding I'm planning to have my father walk me down the isle, once we get to the front role where my mother is sitting we will stop and i'm going to go over to my mom and give her a rose from my bouquet with a thinking of you note attached to it. Then my father will give me away and take his seat.

On the way back down the isle. My I'm going to stop at my new mother in laws seat and give her a second rose also with a thinking of you note attached.

Just an idea
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am going to give my mom a book that she read to me when I was really little as well as a thank you to my mom and dad in the programs with a pome from the book.. In the book the mom had a little boy and no matter how old he got every night she would hold him and sing, one day when the boy was a man and his mom an old woman and sick he held her and sang the song. The song goes

Love you forever
    like you for always
    as long as I'm living
    my baby you'll be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards