July 2013 Weddings
Options

July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!

As I mentioned in the thread below, this thread is the place to ask the July 2012 brides specific questions you have.

If there is something wedding planning related you are struggling with, ask away! When the July 2011 brides did this for us, some of the most helpful topics were things like "How did you go to the bathroom in your dress?" and "How many times did you do it on your HM," so nothing is off limits. Don't be shy!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!

• Options
    guyyyssssss....we want to help! ask us questions! <3 
  • Options
    Seriously! And we love TMI. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So, I'll ask it...

How DID you go to the bathroom in your dress? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I have a photography question: were there any shots you are super glad you caught, or that you're really upset you missed? I know there are all sorts of lists on pinterest, etc, but any personal favorites/advice for making sure the photographer knows what you need?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:1fe52c8f-49f6-4fe8-9caa-a02b39812f01">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I'll ask it... How DID you go to the bathroom in your dress? lol
    Posted by AmJam04[/QUOTE]

Face the toilet like you're a guy, have someone help you shimmy out of your undergarments (this is a lot more complicated if you have Spanx or something, thankfully I did not!), then straddle the toilet facing it so you're sitting on it the opposite way you normally would. Especially if you have a train, this is literally the only way to make it work! Hope I'm explaining it so you can visualize it . . . hahaha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KatieK501KatieK501 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:1fe52c8f-49f6-4fe8-9caa-a02b39812f01">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:

Some of the advice given to us was to pee backwards (facing the toilet).  The first time I had to go was about 15 miuntes before the ceremony and went I went to try backwards, I realized I was going to have to take my panties off.  I didn't think I could do that, so I faced like normal and had my bridesmaids and mom help hold the dress up.  It was awkward, but I think either way it's going to be a little awkward.  I only had to go one other time and just my mom helped me - less awkward.
  • Options
    1. take off your panties, face the toilet, and go to town. it's the only way you can go if you have a long train.

2. don't go in with a long list of pictures. have some general ideas about how you like to pose/what makes you and fiance look good, and figure out what groups of family you want in your formal portraits. trust that you hired your photographers for a reason and that they know what to do and how to make you guys happy and look good. We have only gotten 5 pictures back so far (just got married July 28th and have only received a sneek peek so far) but we are thrilled at this point! there is no way you will get EVERYTHING you ever want, so I think having an insanely long list of potential shots would just set you up for disappointment
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:84de7427-8413-4632-b0b9-1d1afe5f9c2f">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a photography question: were there any shots you are super glad you caught, or that you're really upset you missed? I know there are all sorts of lists on pinterest, etc, but any personal favorites/advice for making sure the photographer knows what you need?
    Posted by missquela[/QUOTE]

I'd be careful about giving too specific a list to your photographers. I think creating a "Photo Ideas" board on pinterest would be a good start, then sending the link to your photographers as you get closer to the date . . . anything like a detailed list will be too much micromanaging and I think they'll not respond too kindly to it!

What I did was make a VIP Formal Photos list (meaning, we need a photo of B&G in church, B&MOB in church, B&MIL&FIL in church, etc.) rather than a "photo of B's reflection in mirror while staring at her ring with BMs in the background" type list. I trust my photographer so even though I don't have all my photos back yet, I'm pretty confident that she got the detail shots I wanted (pic of shoes, pic of rings, pic of tables, etc.). If there's one thing you MUST HAVE, just tell your photographer and they'll help you stage it. I wanted a photo of the bouquet toss (even though we didn't really do an actual bouquet toss), so we staged it with a bunch of my BMs. That was easy to do, but the more specific staged photos you request, the less time you're going to have to eat/dance/mingle!

Hope that helps!

KEEP THE QUESTIONS COMING! (I don't want to do work today.)

<strong>Edit</strong>: I took way too long writing that and butterfly beat me to it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:84de7427-8413-4632-b0b9-1d1afe5f9c2f">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a photography question: were there any shots you are super glad you caught, or that you're really upset you missed? I know there are all sorts of lists on pinterest, etc, but any personal favorites/advice for making sure the photographer knows what you need?
    Posted by missquela[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen our photos yet (I just got married on the 28th) so I don't know if there's any that were missed, but for the formal family photos, I made a list of who all needed to be in the pictures.  I asked the photographer if he wanted me to do this before just sending it to him so I wouldn't offend him.  He was happy to have the names and his assistant was able to have the next people there and ready.

As for the other shots - dress, cake, bouquet toss, first dance, leaving, etc - I wouldn't list those.  If the person has shot a lot of weddings, they should know to get those.  That should be in the list of questions you ask before you hire them.  Also - know what you're paying for - like if you get digital copyrights.
  • Options
    Bathroom: I just didn't go. Its probably bad but oh well. As a teacher who rarely has time to go at work I'm pretty good at holding it. I went right before I put on my dress and then as soon as I took it off (what a great thing to say to H by the way Help me get my dress off so I can pee!)

As for pictures: I don't have my professional pictures back yet. But I will say I gave my photographer a list and I know we didn't do all of what I wanted. Oh well. We got all the groupings I wanted and thats more important than specific poses.I wouldn't worry to much about the cute shots you see on pintrest. They are great but can take a lot of time. My list just had groupings, in order of importance, and couple of specifics (guys smoking cigars, a family tradition). The specfics were things that were extremly important to me that he might not figure out on his own. For everything else I just let him figure it out. I really hope he got a shot of me spinning though!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i posted on the other thread can we make 1 thread instead of 2
  • Options
    I actually just took my dress off to pee. It seemed like the easiest thing lol. My dress just had a zipper and a bow, though, not like a million buttons or anything crazy. Then I had a BM zip it back up once I stepped into again. 

RE: photos - I actually made a super detailed list in Excel but then I didn't even end up sending it to my photog. It seemed like overkill. I trust her and her instincts, so I felt like she wouldn't need that and it might even stress her out. I did send her a pinterest board with some pics that I loved, but just so she'd know my style a bit more. At one point she did say, "okay lift up your dress and pants legs so we can the B+G shoe shot you want." So I guess she really did look at my board lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!:[QUOTE]I have a photography question: were there any shots you are super glad you caught, or that you're really upset you missed? I know there are all sorts of lists on pinterest, etc, but any personal favorites/advice for making sure the photographer knows what you need? Posted by missquela[/QUOTE]

GREAT, GREAT question! !
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    As a July 2012 bride who just got a preview yesterday, I'll say this about photos.  Because we link pics, heres a link to stalk! (click)

I know that i did not get very many shots of just me, or just my DH on our day of.  And we missed a bride with GM and groom with BM shots, but we will survive. 
    And dont be afraid to point out something you really want for our photographer. For example, after we thought we were done with our WP pics, I realized we only had taken pics of everyone in front of a barn. So we hauled everyone back out to take a few more, and both photogs and video guys were more than willing to make sure we had everything. So if you want more- ask!!

and per butterflys advice- negotiate for what you want! 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:a863e4b7-d956-46fe-92cf-e37709cf2b67">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]and per butterflys advice- negotiate for what you want! 
    Posted by elizabethmae315[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! I talked my videographers down to $2200 from $3500 AND got them to add an extra videographer (so they could get groom's reaction as I walked down the aisle, as well as my reaction at the same time, and things like that) AND an extra hour. Remember- As with most things in life, you won't get it unless you ask.

Caveat being that you have more negotiating clout when you're farther out from the date. Once it gets closer to the date, and they think you REALLY want something, they'll be less inclined to negotiate. Also they may have other inquiries that aren't asking for extras and they'll go with those people. It's all a matter of psychology with us who negotiate for a living :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:149ecc87-6f6b-4e1e-9622-3f3c5daa8105">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and if you guys want to stalk pics, we have a bunch of recaps up on our board :)
    Posted by Schatzi13[/QUOTE]

Yeah we do!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:ad747888-a68b-417a-aa3c-facf3d9f4eb9">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything! : Ditto this! I talked my videographers down to $2200 from $3500 AND got them to add an extra videographer (so they could get groom's reaction as I walked down the aisle, as well as my reaction at the same time, and things like that) AND an extra hour. Remember- As with most things in life, you won't get it unless you ask. <strong>Caveat being that you have more negotiating clout when you're farther out from the date. Once it gets closer to the date, and they think you REALLY want something, they'll be less inclined to negotiate.</strong> Also they may have other inquiries that aren't asking for extras and they'll go with those people. It's all a matter of psychology with us who negotiate for a living :)
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm, yeah I guess that is true. I had hoped it would be the opp and I waited until about a month out to book my videographer. I thought maybe he'd just be happy to book the date since at that point, he prob wouldn't book it, but he wouldn't budge a dollar. And he was charging $3,800! But his work was so much better than the others and we loved him, so we did just suck it up and I'm so happy we did. I am more excited to see the video now than I am to see the pro pics!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bmore - sidenote, I cannot wait to see your video!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    B2B - me too (about yours)! I think mine will be a little while since I was delinquent and just sent the videographer my song choices this morning (oops!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:313e6bcf-505f-494c-834b-8b69a5c467ea">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]B2B - me too (about yours)! I think mine will be a little while since I was delinquent and just sent the videographer my song choices this morning (oops!)
    Posted by BmoreBride311[/QUOTE]

I just sent my choices last Friday so I think mine will be a while too!  Sorry to threadjack, everyone. Oops.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:1fe52c8f-49f6-4fe8-9caa-a02b39812f01">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:

I peed backwards and luckily didn't have to poo that day!!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:a863e4b7-d956-46fe-92cf-e37709cf2b67">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a July 2012 bride who just got a preview yesterday, I'll say this about photos.  Because we link pics, heres a link to stalk!  (click) I know that i did not get very many shots of just me, or just my DH on our day of.  And we missed a bride with GM and groom with BM shots, but we will survive.  And dont be afraid to point out something you really want for our photographer. For example, after we thought we were done with our WP pics, I realized we only had taken pics of everyone in front of a barn. So we hauled everyone back out to take a few more, and both photogs and video guys were more than willing to make sure we had everything. So if you want more- ask!! and per butterflys advice- negotiate for what you want! 
    Posted by elizabethmae315[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't pay any attention before I hastily clicked to stalk your wedding photos, but as soon I saw saw you used Kate Morrow I knew you had to be from around Grand Rapids! FH and I left GR for DC in May, but it's where we fell in love and lived together for 3.5 years. :) We lived just around the corner from The Bluffs in Alger Heights and his cousin had their reception there 3 summers ago. We're coming back in October for engagement pics (we used LVL Photography) and our wedding is on the East side of the state in Grand Blanc. </div><div>
    </div><div>I also have a question for you (and any other ladies who can help). I noticed you guys drove away by yourselves in a car. Did you arrange transportation for your bridal party? The quotes I have been getting for limos are straight up ridiculous and I just cannot bring myself to pay $600 for a 20 minute car ride. Did you have a problem getting everyone to the same place at the same time without a limo? Thank you!</div>
  • Options
    Elizabeth. . . I just realized why I recognized your photographer's name. She did trash the dress pics for a friend of mine back in April/May. The horse ones. . . if you stalked her blog like I stalk my photogs blog, you probably saw them. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:e980792f-984d-4691-adb5-270a7611ade9">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I also have a question for you (and any other ladies who can help). I noticed you guys drove away by yourselves in a car. Did you arrange transportation for your bridal party? The quotes I have been getting for limos are straight up ridiculous and I just cannot bring myself to pay $600 for a 20 minute car ride. Did you have a problem getting everyone to the same place at the same time without a limo? Thank you!
    Posted by WalkersFurMama[/QUOTE]

H and I drove away by ourselves, and we did not arrange transportation for the wedding party.  Everyone made it just fine - but we also didn't have the wedding party announced and we had a buffet line, not seated dinner, so there was no time when they specifically had to be there.  We also just drove away in my car - so i was able to stash some stuff to touch up makeup and change shoes in there.  We were on a tight budget and it worked perfectly for us.
  • Options

Ha...I actually had to take my entire dress off.  It was fitted and wouldnt lift up past a certain point!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Okay, I'll ask a few questions:

Did you actually enjoy the wedding planning process or was it annoying? Right now I'm finding myself thinking it's a bit boring. Maybe once the date gets closer I'll start to feel differently. I don't know anyone who enjoys researching vendor after vendor. (Trying on dresses was super fun though!)

When you found your dress how did you react?

How much did your gown preservation cost? How about alterations? Did you get your dress altered at the bridal salon or elsewhere? What would you recommend in regards to alterations (in house/private seamstress/dry cleaners)?

Once you picked out your dress how on EARTH did you keep yourself from showing your fiance? I have my dress choice narrowed down to three and will be making my final selection next week and I had to make my FI swear up and down that no matter how much I wanted to show him my dress he was NOT to agree to look at ANY dress pictures I showed him. (Yeah, I have poor self control when it comes to things I am super excited about!)

So... hmm, maybe these were a bit more than a few. Sorry!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The week before the wedding can be super hectic if you let it. Remember that there are some things that you just aren't going to get finished. Prioritize and then let some things go. For example: I had thought I wanted programs, but when it came down to it they weren't done yet and I didn't want to spend the whole week making them. Also, I left my seating chart until the night before the wedding. But it got done and it looked great! And there was only one error! I think it's way more important to just try and relax and enjoy the week before the wedding. Try and spend some time by yourself and with your fiance without other people around. Remember that you are getting married to the man you love and just let yourself be excited about it. Don't sweat the small stuff!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:a3017198-8d47-4c75-98c5-3862bc4f2426">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heres one (yes im bored at work and need a chuckle) What's the oddest/ strangest "wtfrig" comment you recieved about your dress/decor/ ceremony/ reception and how did you respond?
    Posted by Getting2Vowels[/QUOTE]

Way late but I had no odd comments about the wedding but I got a few questions about when we were going to have kids.  I just laughed and ignored it or said in a few years or something like that.

I think  you'll find that most people won't say to your face on your day but maybe you might get something after that's said to other people or family members.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_july-12-brides-invasion-ask-us-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:1e653767-d303-4542-a68f-284ac39018a5Post:a3017198-8d47-4c75-98c5-3862bc4f2426">Re: July '12 Brides Invasion: Ask Us Anything!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heres one (yes im bored at work and need a chuckle) What's the oddest/ strangest "wtfrig" comment you recieved about your dress/decor/ ceremony/ reception and how did you respond?
    Posted by Getting2Vowels[/QUOTE]

I was catching up on what I missed after I left yesterday and wanted to respond to this:

I didn't specifically hear anything but nice comments about the wedding, but during planning, I heard so many things that made me think WTF.  One in particular I struggled with a lot was that MIL kept referring to the wedding as "Flower girl day" - b/c we asked one of H's neices - her favorite grandchild - to be the flower girl.  It really bothered me, but I didn't do anything but complain to H once and rant on here about it a bit. 

My whole point is that you're going to get a lot of comments and opinions about everything from lots of people.  Just try to be polite and pick your battles.  It's your and your FI's day - who cares what everyone else thinks!  :-)
  • Options
    What was the best part of your day?

How did you deal with any stress that came up during your day?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards