July 2013 Weddings

Curious...how does your getting married fall within your social circle?

I ask because I'm one of the first to be getting married in my group of friends. I'll be 25 at the time of the wedding, but I'm 23 now, so most of my friends are just graduating college, in grad school, establishing careers, etc. and I've only been to two weddings: my friend who is 38 and got married last year, and my cousin who is 26 and got married last year. I am mostly friends with people 2-6 years older than me, and none of them are married, so they find it kind of amusing that I'm getting married before any of them.

So do a lot of you have friends who are already married or have children?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Curious...how does your getting married fall within your social circle?

• I will definitely be one of the first :) My best friend is getting married in two months, but other than her, and my FI's cousin who just got married last year, we're the only ones!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • One girl from my high school social circle is getting married this June, but other than that I'll be the first.  I'm 21 now, and will be 23 at the wedding (FI will be 25).  FI has actually never been to a wedding, so his first wedding ever will be his own. 
  • I'll be the first. I'm 22 now, and will be 23 when I get married. None of my friends are anywhere near marriage...some haven't even had boyfriends before. They're all very excited for my wedding though :)
  • I had one friend get married right out of college, but other than that I'll be the first of my close friends! I'm 25, will be 26 when we're married; my fiancé will be 27. ALL of his friends are getting married/have gotten married in the past year/upcoming summer. Most of my close friends are in medical or grad school and a lot of them don't have serious boyfriends. 

I keep waiting for the "wave" to hit like people always told me it would... definitely has for FI's friends (what does FI mean...? haha) but I guess my friends are a lot more independent!
  • edited April 2012
    I'm not the first. A childhood friend of mine got married 2 yrs ago and another will be getting married this June (she's 30). Oh and my MOH will be is getting married a few months after me. I'll be 32 by the time next July rolls around...God, I feel old when it's written down lol. So yeah, I'm kinda in the middle of it all.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm the first too :). I'm 20 now, will be 22 at the wedding, and he is 24 now, will be 25.

Actually, that's not entirely true - I'm the first of my civilian friends, but my fiance's in the military, and plenty (most) of our military friends are already married.
  • Rebecca - nice to see another military bride! What branch, if I may ask? (My FI is currently in BCT for the Army :) )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • emmyrooemmyroo member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited April 2012
    I'm number 3 of my closest college circle, but there are plenty that I knew, but wasn't close friends with, that have recently gotten married, especially since we all graduated (almost 3 years ago).  My best friend from high school got married almost 5 years ago, but there haven't been many in my high school circle, at least that I know about.  I'm number 2 of my cousins, though, and there are 2 others that are also engaged. 

I did have one of those "explosions" people were talking about.  Seemed like every day I logged on to facebook for a bit there, someone had changed their status to "engaged", but most weren't people I was close to, mostly old classmates or aquaintances.

ETA: Most of my friends are without children right now.  My best friend just had her first in Dec, and an old friend has 2 young daughters.  Still waiting for all the babies to come along!
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We fall pretty much in the middle. FH and I both have friends who are married already (some with kids) but we still have some single friends too. Although, most of our friends are now on their way to being engaged/married as well. I'll be 25 in a couple of months, and FH is 28 so we're not super young anymore. I'm glad we aren't last, I like weddings too much and am excited that we get to go to more after ours. :) 
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    We'll be the first in our immediate social circle, but there have been several friends and acquaintances who've been married in the past few years, and another coming up later this year. 

I'm also cogniscent of the fact that our wedding is still over a year away, and it's entirely possible for another friend or two to get engaged and married in that time, so we might not end up being first after all (although it's looking that way). Our friends are just glad we're *finally* getting married, even if it is before all of them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I'll be the first in my immediate social circle, although FI has done this song and dance before and most of his friends from growing up have been married + had children.  I'll also be the first of my siblings that I grew up with, although I'm the youngest of my parents kids + dad's stepkids.  (My mom remarried when I was a junior in college and two of his kids have already had kids/been married before I met them).
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I'm the first in my close circle of friends! Everyone always teases us about this since I am 26 and my fiance is 29...and our wedding is still over a year away! It makes me happy to know that when my friends do get married I can give them all sorts of advice from experience and hopefully make it a lot less stressful on them!
  • I may or may not be the first to get married within my social circle my best friend from HS is engaged and getting married in August of this year if everything goes as planned. I am 21 and my FI is 26 we already have a 2year old baby boy and by the time we get married I will be 23 and FI will be 27 his sister just got married in October of 2011 but other than that not very many friends are married but some do have kids. I'm the first of three other siblings to get married
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker July 2013 Knotties April Siggy Challenge - Why July? July 20th 2013 We both love summer!
  • I'm 28 and will be 29 (almost 30, ick) when we get married.  That means we're toward the end of the wedding explosion with our friends which kinda sucks because it feels a little like competing to be memorable.  I'm only the second of my cousins to get married though so everyone in my family is all excited which is nice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am the seond in the group. My MOH was married right after our undergrad about 3 years ago. We are getting married on the same day as well :) One of my clost firends has a 10 yo, so really no one has holding babies/toddlers. I'm the first out of my sisters, which is a bit more scary than the friends part. My sister has two children, but my mom has no grandchildren yet...I am 26 and will be 27 when we get married, his 30 and will be 31. All of his close friends are married or about to get married. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • About half of my best girlfriends are married. None with kids yet. Of FI's best friends, most have girlfriends, but his two best friends (a guy and girl from high school) are married to each other with two daughters (FI's goddaughters and our flower girls for the wedding). I just turned 29 on Saturday and FI turned 26 back in February. We were invited to five weddings this year. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2012
    Lovin all these replies! It's cool that most of us are in a similar age group, and have similar responses. I hadn't thought about the "explosion," but now that you mention it... in the past year, I've seen about 4 or 5 people get engaged through facebook, who are in my high school or college group of acquaintences. Definitely kind of interesting! I'm gonna be sad when we're done planning...what the heck is gonna occupy all my time after the wedding!?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_curioushow-does-your-getting-married-fall-within-your-social-circle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:2406b1a7-6b91-452c-9aa4-c08f1ce2246bPost:504d0a3f-015e-40e5-b90c-5433626a7d5a">Re: Curious...how does your getting married fall within your social circle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rebecca - nice to see another military bride! What branch, if I may ask? (My FI is currently in BCT for the Army :) )
    Posted by birdie1020[/QUOTE]

Ahh, sorry I'm a few days late! FI is USAF :) military brides unite!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards