July 2013 Weddings

Music vendors: What would you do?

FI and I are officially at the planning stage where we are considering musicians/DJs and such. Our venue has a specific list for us to choose from of approved vendors (which is pretty limited considering what we're hoping for, btw), and our wedding planner has two musicians/DJs she works with and our venue will allow to play.

So, with that in mind, the vendors on the "approved" list from the venue are generally more expensive. For example, the pianist we'd consider hiring wants to charge $200/hr with a 3 hr minimum. There are only two pianists to choose from, and one of them is going to be out of town! So FI and I are sort of in a "spot" as to getting what we want for a reasonable price.

Long story short, a DJ that our wedding planner works closely with has dropped his pricing significantly to accomodate our budget while also including both his services as a DJ, lighting, and a professional pianist. The catch is: we don't get to hear the pianist prior to our signing the contract.

Is this too risky?
We'll be within our budget and get lighting to boot (thus being slightly under budget), we'll get a DJ we know we like, but we're taking a big risk on the pianist.

What would YOU do? Take the plunge? Or risk going significantly over budget to find another pianist/DJ from "the approved list"?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Music vendors: What would you do?

• The pianist does not have any of his/her work on Youtube you can watch? I dont like you can't hear the pianist...Why wont they let you. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Ditto PP... why can't you hear the pianist prior to signing the contract? We hired a steel guitar/ukulele player for our ceremony, but we watched over a dozen of his YouTube videos first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kay136kay136 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    Def agree with PP. If there is absolutely nothing you can hear I would be suspicious. We hired a steel drum player for the ceremony and he has tons of samples on his website. One other option would be to try and get a review from someone else that he played a wedding for. But to be honest- I feel like at the very least he should put you on speaker phone and just play for you over the phone. I don't think I would feel comfortable hiring someone that I hadn't heard play. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with PPs, if they don't have any clips or anything on youtube that you can listen to--that's a little weird. We're considering a few different harpist and we wouldn't physically see any of them perform before the wedding but I'm okay with that based on reviews and samples online.

btw...I'm curious where you're getting married, is it in the bay area?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The DJ that's orchestrating this (that we're considering hiring atm) has said that he would get us a professional pianist -- it's really not in his best interest to find a pianist that sucks, because one of his "conditions" for discounting his services so much to fit into our budget is for us to write a raving review of him to the venue. (Bear with me here, the whole story is a bit complicated)

Anyway, I asked if he already knows which pianist he'd like to use and to give us his/her name so we can investigate. And, if he doesn't know who he'd like to use yet, then I asked if we can basically give approval before he hires the person.
    Hopefully we'll hear back soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_music-vendors-what-would-you-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:24bf4d8b-26a8-4d7b-95a3-7e6c1f973f15Post:336d5e05-7743-4c50-abfd-545687decda3">Re: Music vendors: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with PPs, if they don't have any clips or anything on youtube that you can listen to--that's a little weird. We're considering a few different harpist and we wouldn't physically see any of them perform before the wedding but I'm okay with that based on reviews and samples online. btw...I'm curious where you're getting married, is it in the bay area?
    Posted by MissKristenWed84403[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, we're getting married in Rutherford (Napa Valley). It's kind of a PITA since we live about an hour and a half away so it's sort of long-distance planning. haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_music-vendors-what-would-you-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:24bf4d8b-26a8-4d7b-95a3-7e6c1f973f15Post:9e8f17c5-b0f1-4d0b-ab10-74e645813689">Re: Music vendors: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Music vendors: What would you do? : Yeah, we're getting married in Rutherford (Napa Valley). It's kind of a PITA since we live about an hour and a half away so it's sort of long-distance planning. haha.
    Posted by AmJam04[/QUOTE]

Oh beautiful! I've been to Rutherford a couple of times. FI and I went up to Calistoga before we officially booked Purple Orchid and talked about how beautiful it would be to get married somewhere around Napa. But yeah, ultimately I couldn't handle the distance lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I agree. I dont think they would refer someone who would suck. Hopefully, once they have a name you will be able to google that person. GL!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards