July 2013 Weddings

XP: Honeymoon dilemna

Ahh! So my FI and I were all decided on Cancun, and then a friend of mine pointed out that we should go somewhere we will not be able to go to/afford after we have kids. (I'm 32, we need to get on that lol). We are thinking about Trinindad/Tobago or maybe Brazil (but FI said politically Brazil is having issues? I don't know). We love the idea of Buenos Aires or Santiago, Chile but it is winter there in July, no bueno. Our budget is not very big, around $5000 for flight and hotel not including excursions and food and drinks. 

We don't want to go somewhere where we will feel obligated to "gogogo" all the time, so Europe is out. We like the idea of relaxing half the day and doing something for a couple hours. Anybody have any suggestions for central/south america or the carribean that would be "special" but not cold? 

Re: XP: Honeymoon dilemna

• If we could we would go to Puerto Rico. Its a great place to relax and still be able to sightsee. Anyway, thats my dream. ive always wanted to see where my dad was born and my family came from.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• I'm not much help - Cancun sounds pretty bitchin' to me! LOL. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think you could go wrong with any part of the carribean meeting those requirements. I did some research, we were looking for a beach-y, relax-y  spot where we could spend hours on the beach drinking fruity umbrella drinks and where we could also go on a hike or go snorkeling. We were really into Punta Cana, and also Puerto Rico. I think Mexico would be great too, and I'm definitely going to go to Riviera Maya once the ladies on here who are going there for their honeymoons come home and tell us all the highlights! Try finding a couples only resort to really get the "we don't have kids yet!" vibe lol :) we'll be TTC within the next couple years, so that was an important factor to us too :-P
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Have you considered Aruba? I went a few yrs back and had an amazing time. My biggest decision of the day was sit on beach or by pool? They had lots of activities and we did a few but it wasnt gogogo like you mentioned. You can choose to do nothing or everything and have a blasty blast! We stayed at the Marriott, last hotel on the island, and there was plenty of beach for everyone! Let me know if you have questions, I'll be happy to answer.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have been to Turks & Caicos, Jamaica, and Belize. I can tell you info about any of those if they intererest you!! I would also check out cheapcaribbean.com because they get really good deals on flight + hotel packages. I also stayed at a couples only resort in Negril, Jamaica and it was WONDERFUL. Check out couples.com

Hope this helps! :)
    ~Happy Wife.... Happy Life~
  • I went to Trinidad & Tobago with one of my college classes, lots of great beaches! I think anywhere in the Caribbean would be beautiful and relaxing.

FI and I also spent a week at the Royal Playa Del Carmen, Mexico (all inclusive) and I highly recommend it. It's a smaller town in Mexico but with gorgeous resorts and beaches and a great downtown area with shopping, restaurants, and cute bars. We felt like we were on a honeymoon. We went during December and if I recall it cost ~$2,000 for flight & hotel from San Francisco.

For our honeymoon we want to do something different than we've ever done before. So were are planning on going to Quepos, Costa Rica where there is both rainforest and beaches. It looks like flight & hotel will be $3,500-$4,000 from San Francisco. 

You can definitely find somewhere amazing for under $5,000! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Update: Well we went to another travel agent last night (another great experience) and the verdict is...Mexico. Lol. We went back and forth with a bunch of other places and just realized that it is the best place for what we want. Plus we're under budget, woohoo! We decided on Riviera Maya. Thank you all for your advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards