July 2013 Weddings

HELP! Pregnant bridesmaid!

My fiancé's sister just found out she's pregnant and it's time for everyone to be ordering their dresses, but she's only 6 weeks so we don't know how much weight she's going to gain and I don't want her to order a dress and it not be big enough, but I don't want to wait till the last minute and her have to pay double the price and take the chance on the dress not being the same color as the rest of my bridesmaids since they aren't wearing the same dress. What do I do? How do I handle it without being a jerk and saying that she's just going to have to order a dress and hope it fits or can be altered to fit?

Re: HELP! Pregnant bridesmaid!

• the dress shop can help with this. i would order 2-3 sizes bigger at the smallest so it can be taken in if needed. 
  • Are you telling your BMs what dress specifically to wear? Or are you letting them choose their style?

She can select a style for herself that is empire-waist/flowy so she doesn't have to worry about it fitting down the road. Even if you're choosing their dresses, you could choose something similar for her that isn't particularly body-hugging. Maybe?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Belle0720Belle0720 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013

Don't stress about it, the bridal shop should be able to help you out with this. You're definitely going to have to guess on sizing, and when you're picking a style you should also be mindful of the fact that she will be 7 months pregnant at your wedding. Anything strapless or hip-hugging is probably not a good choice. I went BM dress shopping with my BM who is pregnant last week and this cut looked great on her with her 6 month baby bump http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/D595/. It might also be hard to find one style that looks good on her and everyone else so you might want to considered having them wear the same designer/fabric/color but in different styles.

Also, my BM will have had her baby 2 months prior to our wedding, but she did tell me that if she had been pregnant for the wedding, she would probably have stepped down as a bridesmaid, so keep that in mind as well. I don't know from experience but I hear from my friends that pregnancy can get very uncomfortable especially in the third trimester.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI's daughter is pregnant now too, maybe two months. I think she will just order a few sizes bigger. And it may be possible that they have "baby bumps" for women to try on if they are pregnant. I know that is how I shopped for maternity clothes. They have them for all the months and it gives an idea of what you will look like and how it will fit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards