July 2013 Weddings

Cake tasting...underwhelming

Has anyone else done your cake tasting yet? We went last week and it was completely anticlimatic. "Here's the cakes you can pick from, here's the samples to try, no you can only have two fillings, no we can't do whipped cream frosting, and the cake can only be vanilla or chocolate. Ok great we're done."  It was just...dissapointing.

On a positive note, we also met with a florist and LOVE him. We've never felt so excited after meeting with a vendor. He just understood everything we wanted and suggested what he could do to enhance our "vision." We just felt really comfortable with him. 

What have been your best/worst vendor experiences so far?

Re: Cake tasting...underwhelming

• my best vendor experience has been my photographer. She is amazing!!!
  • Oh boy....I'm having the cake tasting this Thursday. Super excited for it! We have that and the tasting at our venue...big delicious day coming up!

We're meeting with our florist the Thursday of Feb. school vacation. Looking forward to that too! 

Crazy how it's all real and coming together now!

Sorry you had such a crummy experience with your baker....booooooo!
  • Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your cake baker! Does the cake come with the venue or can you find a different baker?

My cake baker is actually my favorite vendor. I never thought I would care much about our wedding cake but I'm crazy excited to see how they turn out! My venue on the otherhand has annoyed me quite a bit....I honestly feel like I know more about the place than their event coordinator does!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also have very little choice with my cake, it's part of the package that comes with the venue. However, that was one of the few "Cons" on our venue list and out of all the things to care about on the day of the wedding, the cake is low on the priority list. I may find or make a cool cake topper, probably a monogram, to help spruce up the package cake and make it more personalized. I know how you feel though, it's so frustrating when things are underwhelming. However, on the actual big day all of those things are coming together as a whole and won't feel underwhelming at all.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our cake is also included. We got to choose fillings and cake flavor, but dont get to taste before I dont think.

The worst was one of the floral vendors. Just didnt vibe well with me. Too artistic if you know what I mean. Flowers arent THAT important to me, so I just need something that looks pretty and is colorful.

The best vendor besides the venue, is the florist we did choose. Just love her spunk and flair for being fun!!!

Of course the DJ should be great too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• It's a part of our venue's package. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, the cake is going to be pretty and taste great. Once again, I realize I've been watching too much TLC and was dissapointed because of my expectations of the "experience." I am temporarily banning myself from wedding tv lol. 

Good luck to you girls on your meetings. I'll cross my fingers for talented vendors and low quotes :-)
  • I don't even know what to expect during a cake testing!!!! .. After reading the previous posts.. I am taking extreme caution. We have picked 3 bakeries here in Michigan to choose from. All in the same day, next month.. (due to trying to save requested days off for when it gets closer to the wedding.) 

Salsera29 I am so sorry to hear you had a bad experience!! I too am banning myself from wedding tv.. especially David Tutera shows. :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards