Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Bridal Shower

My fiance and I already live together, so we really don't need anything. Is it terrible to have a bridal shower and ask for money instead of gifts that we don't need, or should I just forget the shower?

Re: Bridal Shower

• McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, that is terrible.Upgrade what you have now!  You could also do a HM registry, although some people consider them tacky. 
  • edited December 2011
    As mentioned I'm sure there are things you can upgrade. We already live together too but there were defintiely some new things we added, and then upgraded A LOT. It's really nice to have a new, better version of a lot of things!

Vacation

• elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just go walking around some stores this weekend.. take a look around at things I bet you'll see some things that you would love to upgrade on. FI and I have lived together for 3+ years and he was convinced that we didn't need to register at all. I took him to BB&B this past weekend showed him a few upgrades and now he wants to register like NOW
    image.
  • themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, forget the money.  It makes you look greedy.  Upgrade your stuff or register at BB&B (where they give you cash back for anything returned that was purchased from your registry).

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • edited December 2011
    Asking for money is tacky in any situation! We were living together since '04 when we had our shower this year, so we asked for upgrades of things we already have. The other sneaky thing that we did was register for stuff that we didn't really want - like dishes - then took them back and used the proceeds to buy a really expensive thing that we did want - a Dyson.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with previous posts- you definitely can't just ask for money.Along with upgrading what you currently have, there are places where you can do untraditional wedding registries like REI or Amazon.com.  Even if you don't think you need new dishes or cookware, there might be something else outside the realm of kitchen stuff that you could use.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    We've lived together for 4 years, but are registering for things.  Maybe not even updating, but I'm going to register for attachments for my mixer, or K-cups for our coffee maker....just things we can use to add to what we already have since we have so much....we may do a HM registry-don't know yet-but I think that's better then asking for money!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    It would be a pretty boring shower with no gifts to open :)
  • edited December 2011
    Kim - I'm of the opinion that showers are boring, regardless of if there are gifts to open or not (including my own:P) - lol.
  • jezebelljezebell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm kicking and screaming that I don't want a shower.  My BM's and FMIL won't let me off the hook.  We live together but I could use some new towels (who couldn't).  For me its an attention thing.  One BM says NO GAMES, another says we HAVE to have some fun, then they fight over if there will be any food with mayo.....More reasons not to bother.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards