Interracial Weddings
Options

Help, my daughter is marrying a Nigerian:)

Just kidding, he is a great guy! My question is, does anyone know if it would be offensive for me to wear a Nigerian outfit for the actual wedding? I am a really white (Irish descent) woman:) I will be wearing a traditional Nigerian outfit the night before when the groom's family will be cooking Nigerian food, etc. I don't have a clue as to how to match the MOG if I wear a regular (American) MOB dress. I know our tradition is for her dress to compliment mine, but she lives in Nigeria and that is not going to work. So, I've been thinking about matching her. Just don't want to offend her. Thanks for any ideas!

Re: Help, my daughter is marrying a Nigerian:)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_daughter-marrying-nigerian?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:3727498b-d809-4504-bf28-f076c9538ecePost:2d3c13e2-7b86-4495-85f4-cd971df933b7">Help, my daughter is marrying a Nigerian:)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just kidding, he is a great guy! My question is, does anyone know if it would be offensive for me to wear a Nigerian outfit for the actual wedding? I am a really white (Irish descent) woman:) I will be wearing a traditional Nigerian outfit the night before when the groom's family will be cooking Nigerian food, etc. I don't have a clue as to how to match the MOG if I wear a regular (American) MOB dress. I know our tradition is for her dress to compliment mine, but she lives in Nigeria and that is not going to work. So, I've been thinking about matching her. Just don't want to offend her. Thanks for any ideas!
    Posted by bogdan[/QUOTE]

It wasn't funny.

For the outfits, follow the theme of the wedding if the wedding party has been asked to dress according to tradition, else wear a dress from your own traditions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_daughter-marrying-nigerian?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:3727498b-d809-4504-bf28-f076c9538ecePost:2d3c13e2-7b86-4495-85f4-cd971df933b7">Help, my daughter is marrying a Nigerian:)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just kidding, he is a great guy! My question is, does anyone know if it would be offensive for me to wear a Nigerian outfit for the actual wedding? I am a really white (Irish descent) woman:) I will be wearing a traditional Nigerian outfit the night before when the groom's family will be cooking Nigerian food, etc. I don't have a clue as to how to match the MOG if I wear a regular (American) MOB dress. I know our tradition is for her dress to compliment mine, but she lives in Nigeria and that is not going to work. So, I've been thinking about matching her. Just don't want to offend her. Thanks for any ideas!
    Posted by bogdan[/QUOTE]

LOL...My parents had the same reaction ("help our daughter is marrying a caucasian").
    You don't HAVE to match his mom. My mom wore royal purple and silver (traditional) and his mom wore beige. You can do complimenting colors that work.

Part of merging both cultures involves actually merging not eliminating. So there is no need for you to try to wear something traditional. My inlaws wore traditional attire for our traditional Nigerian ceremony the day before BUT on the day of, they wore a tux (FIL) and gown (MIL). Its all good.

Have fun and CONGRATULATIONS! Nigerian weddings are A BLAST!!! I had a lot of fun at mine and I am sure you and your guests will too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ChobotChobot member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was funny. :) My parents at first were hesitant on me dating an Irish Jewish guy, and now my mom is psyched because she doesn't have to wear a Korean dress. Imagine thick accent, "Thankuh god he is not Korean. those dresses give no shape-uh. " 

I say stick to whatever garb that makes you look fabulous. Perhaps ask a future sister in law discretely if the idea is kosher. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol. I feel like that maybe many people's initial response until reality sets in and they see that its just not a big deal. Sorry I have no advice for you but these other ladies make valid pointsLaughing
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    bogdanbogdan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I think we've solved the problem- his mom says it's too late to get the material and have the attire made. So, I WILL wear my "night before" outfit with pride and now have to go shopping (ugh) for day of. I can't wait to meet his family and we already love him (he actually lives with us, while our daughter is finishing college in another city). Now we'll have one SIL from Nigeria, one from Romania and one from Alabama! We will all be together for the wedding along with our widowed daughter (husband KIA in Iraq) and two teenaged sons. Can't wait to see who else will join our multicultural family in the future!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome! Sounds like a fun family. Best of luck to all of you!
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was funny!
  • Options
    You sound like an awesome Mother in Law! I have a couple Nigerian guy friends who are married to my caucasion gf's and their mothers did where teh typical mother of the bride dress. However, both friends did dress in traditional Nigerian dress for a portion of the wedding ceremony which was a lot of fun.

*As a side note I love Nigerian food so not only will the wedding be a cultural blast it will be quite yummy as well!:-)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_daughter-marrying-nigerian?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:3727498b-d809-4504-bf28-f076c9538ecePost:98e56384-bee9-4e8d-b206-28384cb12664">Re: Help, my daughter is marrying a Nigerian:)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! I think we've solved the problem- his mom says it's too late to get the material and have the attire made. So, I WILL wear my "night before" outfit with pride and now have to go shopping (ugh) for day of. I can't wait to meet his family and we already love him (he actually lives with us, while our daughter is finishing college in another city). Now we'll have one SIL from Nigeria, one from Romania and one from Alabama! We will all be together for the wedding along with our widowed daughter (husband KIA in Iraq) and two teenaged sons. Can't wait to see who else will join our multicultural family in the future!
    Posted by bogdan[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    super late but i hope it all went well... been to a few white/nigerian weddings and it actually makes everyone bond more if the families wear traditional. Sometimes nigerians wonder if the (white) parents approve.. by the fam and friens of the non nigerian wearing the traditional outfits, it just shows they are really behind the union!!! congrats on the addition to your fam.. and as a nigerian.. i though this was hilarious.. and GOOODLUCK !! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards