Interracial Weddings

Recently engaged

Hey everyone!

I am recently engaged to an amazing Indian man.  He was born and raised in the US and his family very much sticks to their Hindu and Indian roots.  We have spoken about our wedding before getting engaged, but now it's all coming real because we have started planning and such.  We are planning on having a hindu ceremony as well as a Christian ceremony.

I just wanted to post to ask for any words of wisdom before planning these 2 events. For anyone who has been in my shoes in intercultural/interfaith marriages please let me know if you have any suggestions!  Thanks :)

Re: Recently engaged

• edited December 2011
    I don't really have any good advice. I just wanted to say congrats and welcome to the board. I will check back because i may need some advice too.lol Happy Planning
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I really don't have any good advice as well but congrats and welcome to the board! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!!  I'm anxious to hear the advice too since I'm in the same boat!  So far I have figured out that having 2 ceremonies is easier than trying to figure out how to combine them!  Annnd, I want decorating ideas!!!! :-)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lillabet71Lillabet71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!!! I am super excited :)  We aren't getting married for 2 years so we can save, but it's going to be great!
  • needle&threadneedle&thread member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats...you might wanna check out South Asian Wedding boards under Cultural Wedding boards...there is a lot of Hindi/Hindu advice there...but please dont forget us...
    S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
  • lizsmilelizsmile member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there!

I am actually in the same boat as you. I am marry an Indian guy (wonderful), born and raised here, but family very religious.  We were going to have the ceremony with the Hindu Pastor and Christian Pastor as well.  

For me, the situation didn't go as well, we have canceled our wedding date of April of next year to Dec. of this year.  (Had lots of family problems with both sides, decided to get married on our own, and not let family cause problems due to money or religion, etc.)

The one thing I would suggest, is that you both sit down and discuss what you both want, have it prepared, and when the discussion comes up with families, set your ground, and say this is what we want, (of course listen to advice, but keep in mind that everyone will have ideas on what you should do and shouldn't do).  Trust me.. I had to learn the hard way, the wedding we are having is not what we wanted at first, but now we are having a wedding that is what we BOTH want, with no one telling us what to do, say. or think)

Sorry guess I am a little bitter, but hey.. I get to marry the man I LOVE early.

• Thanks everyone for your replies!!! Lizsmile- that's such great advice because I feel like we are heading down the path of something we both may not want...but I'm ready to stand my ground. It's just so hard when family is involved! Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards