Wedding Invitations & Paper

Question about Names

I know this is probably a petty thing to be worried about, but I just want to do everything right.  If you are addressing a Save The Date or Invitation to a couple who is living together, but not married, whose name do you write first?  Do you base it on alphabetical order, does the woman's name always go first, or do you write the name of the person you've known longer first?  Sorry for such a dumb question, but I'm clueless!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question about Names

• When my FI and recieve invites, it's usually who's friend it truly was first.... we have a lot of couple friends that were the result of us knowing one or the other first. So his friend would address is to Mr. D.S. and Ms. K.B., although 9 times out o 10 the 4 of us hang out in a group...

For what it's worth, I think the more formal way is to address the man first, regaurdless of friendship... it seems to be more traditional. I do not have a preference though, I think either way works.
  • The PP has it wrong. 

You were right - you should always address the woman first, followed by the man on his own line, and then the address. Ladies first is a pretty good guideline for this sort of thing. It has nothing to do with who you are better friends with. It is not more formal to address the man first - it's incorrect. 
  • I know Leisel is correct, but I'm opting to do it our friend first and then their sig other.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_question-about-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:070c9ad2-d601-4abb-a06b-7d4861fdcb52Post:4735cdaf-7e15-4039-85bb-8e2c1a316980">Re: Question about Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]The PP has it wrong.  You were right - you should always address the woman first, followed by the man on his own line, and then the address. Ladies first is a pretty good guideline for this sort of thing. It has nothing to do with who you are better friends with. It is not more formal to address the man first - it's incorrect. 
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

<div>This is the correct way to do it. From what I've read, it's still the correct way to do it even if the couple is married and the lady chose to keep her name. </div><div>
    </div><div>We did this for our invitations to our engagement party, for xmas cards, and such. I find it's easier to follow the rule. I know I felt kind of iffy when stuff would get addressed to FH first because they were "friends first". I don't mean that I felt offended, I guess I just felt like I hadn't been accepted as part of the package yet. So I try to follow the rules, that way if anyone feels iffy I can just tell them "that's the way it's supposed to be done according to etiquette" :)</div><div>
    </div><div>In the end though, I doubt many people know etiquette (I only started paying attention to it when reading wedding blogs) so I wouldn't worry about it too too much!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards