Wedding Invitations & Paper

invitation wording help! suggestions?

Ok so I don't want anything to formal but I do want our invites to make sense and sound ok... we are doing pocketfolds so the reception and directions will be printed out seperately.....

Because you have shared in our lives
with your friendship & love.

Patricia. Smith
And
Tomas Smith

Along with their parents
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Mr. & Mrs. Smith 2

Invite you to share the begining of
Their new lives together.

May twelvth, two thousand twelve
2 o'clock
San *** Church
LilySlim Exercise days tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: invitation wording help! suggestions?

• You will get various responses regarding the wording - some posters will want you to say "The honour of your presence is requested"

My take would be:
    Because you have shared in their lives
    with your friendship and love
    Patrica Bride
    and
    Tomas Groom
    along with their parents
    Mr. and Mrs. Bridesparents
    and Mr. and Mrs. Grooms Parents
    invite you to share the beginning
    of their new life together
    Saturday, the twelfth of May
    Two thousand twelve
    two o'clock
    San Francisco Church
    Santa Fe, New Mexico

The classic wording would be (and this is the response a few posters will give you)

Mr. and Mrs. Dad Bridesparents
    request the honour of your presence
    at the marraige of their daughter
    Patricia Bride
    and
    Tomas Groom
    Two thousand twelve
    two o'clock
    San Francisco Church
    Santa Fe, New Mexico 

All references to names/city/state/church I changed just to show the proper wording.  Not trying to infer anything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitation-wording-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:1fe53227-b6f2-4218-a887-9bbd784184e0Post:0f500ffb-0239-4d19-be0c-12de7b8e211d">Re: invitation wording help! suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You will get various responses regarding the wording - some posters will want you to say "The honour of your presence is requested" My take would be: Because you have shared in their lives with your friendship and love Patrica Bride and Tomas Groom along with their parents Mr. and Mrs. Bridesparents and Mr. and Mrs. Grooms Parents invite you to share the beginning of their new life together Saturday, the twelfth of May Two thousand twelve two o'clock San Francisco Church Santa Fe, New Mexico The classic wording would be (and this is the response a few posters will give you) Mr. and Mrs. Dad Bridesparents request the honour of your presence at the marraige of their daughter Patricia Bride and Tomas Groom Saturday, the twelfth of May Two thousand twelve two o'clock San Francisco Church Santa Fe, New Mexico  All references to names/city/state/church I changed just to show the proper wording.  Not trying to infer anything.
    Posted by PinkRoseAcct[/QUOTE]

<div>I think either of those sound good.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I agree that it's better to include the word marriage or marry in there somewhere. I see no reason to change your general format though. You could do something like this and keep basically what you have:

Patricia Smith
    and
    Tomas Smith

together with their parents
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith 2

Invite you to share the begining of
    their new lives together
    as they are united in marriage

two thousand and twelve
    at two o'clock in the afternoon
    Church Name
    City, State

Personally, I'm not a fan of this part, but that's just personal taste. It's common on  invitations and fine to use if you like it:
    Because you have shared in our lives
    with your friendship & love

No periods in the invitation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitation-wording-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:1fe53227-b6f2-4218-a887-9bbd784184e0Post:4953fae7-4490-42a6-b6db-d4e0c9ee35c6">Re: invitation wording help! suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that you need to use the word marriage or wedding somewhere in your text to make it clear exactly what the event is.  Are both sets of parents hosting?  <strong>The formality of an event is indicated by the style of the invitation, not the wording.  A formal invitation is plain white with raised print.  Less formal has color and more designs.</strong> Mr. and Mrs. Bridesparents Mr. and Mrs. Groomsparents request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their children Bride's Full Name and Groom's Full Name Saturday, the twelfth of May two thousand twelve two o'clock Church Name City, State
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't agree with this at all and I feel like this is kind of dated thinking. I've received several wedding invitations, full of color, that are for formal events. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invitation-wording-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:1fe53227-b6f2-4218-a887-9bbd784184e0Post:868a2581-3e65-4eb9-9c33-aebca93b9bd7">Re: invitation wording help! suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that it's better to include the word marriage or marry in there somewhere. I see no reason to change your general format though. You could do something like this and keep basically what you have: Patricia Smith and Tomas Smith together with their parents Mr. & Mrs. Smith Mr. & Mrs. Smith 2 Invite you to share the begining of their new lives together as they are united in marriage Saturday, the twelfth of May two thousand and twelve at two o'clock in the afternoon Church Name City, State Personally, I'm not a fan of this part, but that's just personal taste. It's common on  invitations and fine to use if you like it: Because you have shared in our lives with your friendship & love No periods in the invitation.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I also prefer leaving out the term "children".  That's a pet peeve of mine, children don't marry.  or one would hope
  • Thanks ladies.. I will not be including children but I will be adding marriage other then that it will pretty much stay the same... well after fixing some capitalization :)
    LilySlim Exercise days tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards