Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Wording

I've done lots of searching and I've found tons of examples of how to word the invite if both parents are hosting, if bride and groom are hosting, if bride groom and both parents are hosting...but what about bride, groom, and bride's parents? It seems that etiquette dictates bride first, then parents (Ms. Kate and Mr. Jacob, together with Mr. And Mrs. Parents request the honor of your presence...). But that sounds kind of funny to me, especially since my parents are contributing 2/3 of the budget. What about "Together with the bride and groom, Mr. And Mrs. Parents request the honor..."?

Re: Invitation Wording

• Edie, you're right. Hosting often means paying, but not necessarily.

OP: I think you should just use the traditional wording in this case. "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith request the honour of your presence..." 

Don't include you and your fiance as the hosts, because your names will stand out enough from the invitation as is, and it's okay to not list everyone contributing as the hosts. I'm assuming you'd consider your parents the actual hosts, and not yourselves. 

You could do Together with their families, if you'd rather, but in this case I think traditional wording is the best :)
  • My parents are paying for about half, but my fiance's parents, my fiance and I are all contributing.

Here is how I worded mine:

Jane Elizabeth Smith
    and
    John Evan Doe
    together with our parents
    Mr. and Mrs. Frank George Smith
    and
    Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Stanley Dole
    request the pleasure of your company
    on their wedding day
    Saturday, the seventh of April
    two thousand and twelve
    at half past six o'clock in the evening
    Metropolitan Building
    Miami, Florida

Reception to follow

My mother was actually miffed that we didn't list their name first, but I wanted a way to reflect that everyone was paying and listing their names. 

• My parents paid for the majority of our wedding, but my ILs contributed as well. Our wording went like this:

Mr & Mrs Bride's Parents
    and
    Mr & Mrs Groom's Parents
    request the honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their children

Brides Name
    and
    Groom's Name

HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Thanks everybody, this was super helpful. Happy wedding planning to all!
  • Thanks everybody, this was all super helpful. Happy wedding planning to all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards