Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Inner and Outer Envelopes? Wording?

What is the difference?

I was just going to put my invite in one envelope along with the RSVP card and stamped envelope

Is that wrong?

Also, 
Do I need to put Mr. and Mrs?
I was going to do
Jane & John Doe
100 Doe Lane

or do I do
Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
100 Doe Lane

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Inner and Outer Envelopes? Wording?

• Options
    It's fine to just do outer envelopes, although better to do "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe" rather than "John and Jane."
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_inner-outer-envelopes-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6831e9a0-463f-48eb-ab1f-d798a2e40083Post:3650ad32-f3e2-4ae5-84f7-b0ba2cc526b4">Re: Inner and Outer Envelopes? Wording?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's fine to just do outer envelopes, although better to do "Mr. and Mrs. John Doe" rather than "John and Jane."
    Posted by meganb1977[/QUOTE]

<div>thank you!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There's definitely nothing wrong with just a single envelope!  But if you do decide to do inner and outer envelopes, they should read-

Outer: Mr. and Mrs. John Doe (or Ms. Jane Smith and Mr. John Doe, if she did not change her name)
    100 Doe Lane
    City, State, Zip

For the inner envelope, either-
    Jane and John, OR
    Mr. and Mrs. Doe (drop the first name)

For deciding between the two choices on the inner envelope, we went with how we normally address the individuals.  For instance, good friends were "Jane and John."  Elderly friends of the family were "Mr. and Mrs. Doe."

You can also be more informal with the inner envelope, e.g. address it as "Grandma" or "Aunt Susie."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards