Wedding Invitations & Paper

How do you fit everything in?

So, I'm looking into invitations, but I'm a little confused as to how to relay all of the info that I need to tell my guests in one measly invitation!  Besides the actual invitation and response card, I need to tell them where the reception is, with a map, where we're registered, and what kind of attire they should wear.  How do I do this?  thanks!

Re: How do you fit everything in?

• Well, first of all, you should not include registry information in your invitation.  You can put it on the website, but not in the invitation.

Second of all, you should not be telling your guests what to wear.  They are adults and can dress themselves.

All you need is the invitation, reception information, RSVP and map.  If your reception is in the same location as the ceremony, you don't even need a seperate card for that.  You can include on the invitation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_fit-everything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6ec5e91d-5d23-49aa-9f5c-b0c93b52ca7cPost:30c8d762-b4d4-4cc1-9dfa-39b17a0391bc">How do you fit everything in?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I'm looking into invitations, but I'm a little confused as to how to relay all of the info that I need to tell my guests in one measly invitation!  Besides the actual invitation and response card, I need to tell them where the reception is, with a map, where we're registered, and what kind of attire they should wear.  How do I do this?  thanks!
    Posted by AnneMargaret[/QUOTE]

You can not tell them what to wear. You also should not put the reigstry info on the invite.

How about keeping the invite simple and having a wedding website with any additional information (still, no telling people what to wear)
  • 1) Attire: If you're having a formal wedding, it's acceptable to put "black tie" or "black tie optional" or some variation of that as a footnote at the bottom of your invitation.  Or, if it's not that formal, you could put "cocktail attire requested."  If it's less formal than that, don't say anything.

2) Yes, in addition to the response card and the invite, you will need two other things: a direction card to the reception, if it's not at the same place as the wedding, and a hotel card, with hotel information.

3) You NEVER include registry information in a wedding invitation.  A shower invite, yes, a wedding invite, no.  Your parents can spread that word of mouth, or it can go on a wedding website.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Dittos PPs on attire (unless at a very formal location with a strict dress code) and registry info. Just write out the invitation with "Reception to follow" at the bottom. (Or "Dinner reception to follow" or "cocktail reception to follow" or whatever.) Then enclose a separate reception card with the location and time of the reception as well as other pertinent information (like parking). You can include a map on that or separately. 

Some people also have a miscellaneous card with things like hotel information and the wedding website on it. Basically, anything other than the traditional invitation information goes on a separate card which is enclosed with the invitation.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • NO information about registries or attire unless your venue actually has a dress code.

I actually put my reception info on the invite itself instead of having a separate insert even though they were in different places just to save paper, but most people have a separate insert. Have you looked at pocketfold invitations? Just google "pocketfold invitation" if you haven't. They're a good solution if you have a lot of inserts/extra information that won't fit on one or two cards.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Thanks for the advice.  Now that ya'll mention it, I do remember my mom saying something about not putting the registry info in the invite.  I'm the first of my friends to get married, so I haven't really gotten very many invitations to know what goes in it and what doesn't.  My original thought was to do something along the lines of cocktail attire, but girls on another board basically ripped me a new one for suggesting that I ask my guests to not wear jeans (and on the etiquette board no less - you would think they could at least be polite about it!), so I guess that's a no.  I think I was having a mini panic attack about the cost of all these stupid little cards, but now I feel much better! lol thanks!  (And thanks for being polite even though my question was stupid!)
  • PS. Almost everyone that posted on this thread also post on P&E.
  • Yep, you'll probably get "tough love" if you post on the Etiquette board.  Most of us who post here also post there, and that board is known for being that way.  Anyhow - no registry info in the invites at all.  And, no need to indicate what sort of attire.  Your guests have likely been to a wedding before & will dress appropriately.  You just tell them where & what time & they'll sort out the clothing details from that. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Yea, I was one of those mean "etiquette" girls. I didn't think we were rude to you at all though, just honest.
  • I am in the midst of making my invites and getting ready to send them out so I have been looking into the whole idea about including/not including the registry info. I remember reading in a magazine that you absolutely are not supposed to include that info, but I am just curious where this rule came from? I went to three weddings this last summer each with different styles one country club formal, one outdoor casual and one beach semi-casual. After reading this post I dug them all out to see if they had included registry information and they all did. I am not really for or against including the info, if it is truly tacky I won't, because of course I don't want to be tacky. I am just curious who decided it was tacky though any thoughts ladies?

• Jhearts -- The reason is it tacky is because gifts are not a requirement at a wedding.  If you include the registry information, you are putting it in their face that they need to get you a gift.  That is why it's inappropraite to put any mention of gifts/cash in your invitation.
  • It's always rude to request a gift.  Always. And including registry info in the invites is tantamount to requesting a gift.  If you tell your WP and immediate family where you've registered, word will get out.  Also, many places today connect their registry databases to places like theknot.com.  So, a computer savvy guest can just plug your name in, search, and get a link to your registry online. 

Bottom line - guests who really want to registry shop will find it.  Guests who don't would not have done so even with the info in the invite.  Better to be safe than sorry on this one.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Etiquette dictates that the thought of gifts should not even cross your mind, as that's not what getting married is about. Having a wedding is about celebrating your marriage with people close to you, not about stuff. Putting registry information on the invitation is tantamount to saying, "And make sure you show up with something good!" It looks like you are shaking your guests down and equating them with the stuff they'll get you, rather than inviting them because you want their company and want to honor them by sharing a special time in your life.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards