Wedding Invitations & Paper

vegetarian option

I'm a vegetarian and wanted to include a vegetarian option for guests who don't eat meat. I want to include this on the RSVP b/c we have to give the caterer a head count ahead of time. If the vegetarian option is going to be fish, should i put that on the RSVP or do most people assume the vegetarian option is fish? TIA!

Re: vegetarian option

• Most people would not consider fish to be a vegetarian meal.  If I saw a vegetarian meal listed, I would assume that it was something like pasta or big grilled portebella mushrooms.  If you are offering fish as an alternative to beef/pork/chicken, I would list it as fish.
  • Fish is a meat.  So I would not consider that a vegetarian meal.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • All the veggies I know do not eat fish so I would never think that the option would be a fish meal.

Rethink that.
  • I would assume the vegetarian option would be some sort of pasta, as fish is generally offered as an alternative to beef and chicken and while some will eat it, many vegetarians will not.
    imageimageimage
  • vegitarian = NO MEAT.  Fish only counts as not meat for Catholics on Fridays during Lent, not for vegitarians. 

I would go a step further, and give a 2 - 3 word description of your entree selections.

Beef, Chicken, Fish or Vegitarian doesn't tell me much.  I'd probably pick the beef.

Sirloin Tips, Chicken Parmesean, Grilled Salmon, or Vegetarian Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta tells me a LOT more.  I'd pick the Salmon.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • People who eat fish = pescetarians
    People who do not eat meat, poultry, seafood = vegetarians

As a vegetarian, I do not eat fish. I would expect the typical vegetarian wedding meal - a pasta primavera or veggie lasagna. Possibly eggplant parmesan. If my only choices at a wedding were beef, chicken, and fish, I would be cranky because I would be hungry. (That is, if I didn't know that in advance, since I had selected a vegetarian option on my response card.)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I agree with the PPs on the true definition of "vegetarian". 

I would check with your caterer about doing a veggie option but not just have that as one of the three options.  if there are only 2 vegetarians attending it leaves the other guests with possibly a more limited menu.  you could word the RSVP with a line about Culinary Restrictions (like, if the fish course had a shellfish stuffing or sauce- my FI is allergic to shellfish and other members of his family keep kosher, so they would simply state "no shellfish on that line). 
    Holiday Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I second all of the above comments - as a veggie I don't eat fish.  But three cheers for a purely vegetarian option!!  Even your meat eating guests with high cholesterol may end up choosing it!
  • I second all of the above comments - as a veggie I don't eat fish.  But three cheers for a purely vegetarian option!!  Even your meat eating guests with high cholesterol may end up choosing it!
  • Please don't use fish as a "vegetarian" option.  As pp stated, fish is NOT vegetarian!  I think it'd be best to list all your meal options on the reply card, including the fish option and a vegetarian one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards