Wedding Invitations & Paper

Stock the Bar Engagement Party: Invitation Wording

I am hosting an engagement party for my best friend who is getting married next summer. She thought it would be fun to have a "stock the bar" theme for the occasion. However, as this party is really informal (mostly close friends invited, serving appetizer-y type food at the couple's home), we wanted to make it clear that gifts are in no way expected. I'm not sure how to politely phrase "Don't feel obligated to bring a gift, but if you want to, an item to stock the couples' bar would be greatly appreciated."

Does anyone have any ideas? I've never attended an engagement party, let alone hosted one, and I'm a little bit lost in the whole process.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Stock the Bar Engagement Party: Invitation Wording

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_stock-the-bar-engagement-party-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9abf0b72-b75b-4e50-8a9b-91a54b97bc0bPost:6d3fbf7f-3329-4119-8c96-7cc284b3ec45">Stock the Bar Engagement Party: Invitation Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am hosting an engagement party for my best friend who is getting married next summer. She thought it would be fun to have a "stock the bar" theme for the occasion. However, as this party is really informal (mostly close friends invited, serving appetizer-y type food at the couple's home), we wanted to make it clear that gifts are in no way expected. I'm not sure how to politely phrase "Don't feel obligated to bring a gift, but if you want to, an item to stock the couples' bar would be greatly appreciated." Does anyone have any ideas? I've never attended an engagement party, let alone hosted one, and I'm a little bit lost in the whole process. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Posted by songbirdsweet[/QUOTE]

I don't think you are lost, I think you can't really find the proper wording because none exists.  Gift information should never be included on an invitation.  If someone asks you, as the host, you can tell them that they didn't register anywhere, but they would love to stock their bar.  Word of mouth or registering at a local liquor store is really the only way that you can do this without being rude.

I assume people will be RSVPing to you in some way.  Wait for their RSVP, and if they ask what they can bring, you can tell them.  But, don't include it on the invitation.
  • Agree with the others,  E parties aren't gift giving events and should have no theme where one would be implied, as the "stock the bar" idea would do.  In all honesty, I find it a bit rude the bride would come up with this idea.  You are quite generous to offer to host the E party but other than guest list, date, and time (the number of people YOU decide you can accomodate) the couple should have no input on the party.  I would find a gentle way to convey this to her to spare her any future embarrassment.
  • Agreed with PP's.

If I want to bring a gift, I will call the hostess and ask what the guest of honor may like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards