Wedding Invitations & Paper

destination wedding with reception several weeks later, etiquite?

My fiancee and I want to have a small immediate family wedding, possibly at a destination away from home. But our issue is the amount of family we have that we feel need to be invited to the reception. We were planning on having the reception several weeks later where we can have everyone in casual setting. I'm just not sure about the etiquite regarding this situation. Do we send STDs to everyone that will be invited to the wedding and reception that include just the reception information and do we need to send invites for that event plus the invites for the wedding itself to just immediate family? What about showers? Who then gets invited to the bridal shower?

Re: destination wedding with reception several weeks later, etiquite?

• The reception occurs after the wedding to thank your guests from coming.  What you're proposing is having a party weeks after your wedding to celebrate with those you didn't invite.  You can't invite people to the reception and not the wedding, and anyone invited to ANY wedding related events (engagement party, shower, after wedding party like you're proposing) needs to also be invited to the wedding.  

You should not send save the dates for your party.  This is just that--a party, and associating it with your wedding and not inviting people to the actual event just emphasizes that they were NOT invited.  It WOULD be fine to have a party associated with your wedding when you get back to celebrate for those who couldn't make it to the destination wedding.

Your closest friends and family should be invited to the bridal shower (if you want).  Anyone who is not receiving an invite to the wedding should not get an invite to the shower.
  • I am having a destination wedding in Mexico on NYE and will have our reception back home the following week. We are inviting everyone (family and friends) to the wedding as well as the reception/party whatever you choose to call it. Realstically we know not everyone will be able to make it to the ceremony so we want to have another reason to celebrate.  Even if that techinically means you have two days for your wedding. Some people may get offended if you don't invite them to your ceremony but you need to decide if that is something you are ok with. Good luck with your planning I know its hard when you decide to go with the non traditional route!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_destination-wedding-with-reception-several-weeks-later-etiquite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:aead0f61-1ba6-4372-837e-562c04579268Post:a95d07c8-f7d7-4cba-b268-86ee1940765f">destination wedding with reception several weeks later, etiquite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancee and I want to have a small immediate family wedding, possibly at a destination away from home. But our issue is the amount of family we have that we feel need to be invited to the reception. We were planning on having the reception several weeks later where we can have everyone in casual setting. I'm just not sure about the etiquite regarding this situation. Do we send STDs to everyone that will be invited to the wedding and reception that include just the reception information and do we need to send invites for that event plus the invites for the wedding itself to just immediate family? What about showers? Who then gets invited to the bridal shower?
    Posted by amfautz[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards