Wedding Invitations & Paper

Re: Delete

• We mailed ours our April 13th. Rsvp May 31st. Our wedding is July 14th. I dont think we sent them out TOO early!? I think if people dont know what they have going on in JULY then they should be able to make it! Im not waiting until 2 weeks prior to get an offical number. We have things such as caterers, tables, seats, beverages that we need a number for by June 7th.
    pregnancy calendar
  • Standard is 6-8 weeks.  11 weeks is pretty early.   When people have them for that long, they tend to misplace them and forget that the wedding is coming up.  You will probably have more people to follow up with in the week after your rsvp date.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_did-i-send-the-invitations-too-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:afa23e56-5917-4185-8651-088aa2cabf72Post:dff6474e-841d-4c03-bfb2-22996718d687">Re: Did I send the invitations too early?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Standard is 6-8 weeks.  11 weeks is pretty early.   When people have them for that long, they tend to misplace them and forget that the wedding is coming up.  You will probably have more people to follow up with in the week after your rsvp date.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<div>PP is correct.  Also, about 3-4 weeks before the wedding (depending on when your caterer needs a headcount) is standard for RSVP.</div>
  • Yes you were early.  11 wks is a good 3 weeks too soon but it's not awful.

I have to say that mailing invitations in April for a July wedding is bad enough but a response date a good 6 weeks early is venturing into the rude territory.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_did-i-send-the-invitations-too-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:afa23e56-5917-4185-8651-088aa2cabf72Post:5e8a9301-fd3a-4769-b5c6-ac7d7c12adb5">Re: Did I send the invitations too early?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We mailed ours our April 13th. Rsvp May 31st. Our wedding is July 14th. I dont think we sent them out TOO early!? I think if people dont know what they have going on in JULY then they should be able to make it! Im not waiting until 2 weeks prior to get an offical number. We have things such as caterers, tables, seats, beverages that we need a number for by June 7th.
    Posted by Melissa.hylton[/QUOTE]

<div>Some of us have the type of jobs we don't exactly know if we can get time off 6 weeks out. It's not always matter or not knowing what's going on.   </div><div>
    </div><div> I think you should be prepared for people to call you back and decline because something came up.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP - 11 weeks is pushing it, but it's not too terrible.  Hopefully your RSVP date is closer to the wedding.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I know TK says to send them at the 3 mo mark - unforunately this is one of those things where they don't give great advice.

BUT your response date is fine so you should be OK.
  • Three months works if you are having a destination wedding so your guests have a little longer time to figure out if they can attend (get finances in order, etc).
  • It wouldn't bother me to get an invite 11 weeks out.  I need as much advance notice as possible to get time off work.
  • i dont think 11 weeks is  bad. So many people on these boards forget that different people ahve different circumstances and different types of personalities in their families! Whats "proper" for one person isnt going to be "proper"  for someone else. And saying someone is borderline rude for doing so is not nice. Not everything needs to be done by "The timeline checklist" - you do whats right for you and what your comfortable with! (And always remember, theres always gonan be one person who will think your wrong, they can deal with it! )   :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_did-i-send-the-invitations-too-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:afa23e56-5917-4185-8651-088aa2cabf72Post:119c22ae-7f48-40fc-bdc4-492319d5dc0e">Re: Did I send the invitations too early?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i dont think 11 weeks is  bad. So many people on these boards forget that different people ahve different circumstances and different types of personalities in their families! Whats "proper" for one person isnt going to be "proper"  for someone else. And saying someone is borderline rude for doing so is not nice. Not everything needs to be done by "The timeline checklist" - you do whats right for you and what your comfortable with! (And always remember, theres always gonan be one person who will think your wrong, they can deal with it! )   :-)
    Posted by Stacey42901[/QUOTE]

If people are telling the OP that she sent invitations too early, they believe in following proper etiquette.

It exists for a reason and asking people to respond too early is rude.
  • I also agree, 11 weeks prior to the wedding is way too early. Well, that's understandable. I know you are very excited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards