Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invite insert wording with no gift registry??

Hi All!!

I am a matron of honor for one of my best friends.  She is working on her invites.  She already owns her own  home, and so does he. They are merging their things, and are already having to get rid of alot of household items. So they do not want to have a registry asking for more.  They would prefer any other gift, such as gift cards, etc.

How would you word that one an invite insert? Help! Suggestions??

Re: Invite insert wording with no gift registry??

• Options
    You don't mention gifts in your invitations at all.
  • Options

Because it is not recommended that you put it in the invite, their wishes are spread via word of mouth by you and the bridesmaids, along with parents, or anyone else who knows this info. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-with-no-gift-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:b5f6041a-5387-4651-92ea-b47a0f19906aPost:7d8b496e-0eb2-4ca4-8337-b31d5eea1db8">Invite insert wording with no gift registry??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All!! I am a matron of honor for one of my best friends.  She is working on her invites.  She already owns her own  home, and so does he. They are merging their things, and are already having to get rid of alot of household items. So they do not want to have a registry asking for more.  They would prefer any other gift, such as gift cards, etc. How would you word that one an invite insert? Help! Suggestions??
    Posted by jenjen212[/QUOTE]

<div>There should never be any mention of gifts or registries in an invitation.  </div>
  • Options

Well, I didn't mean on the actual invite. But, I know that including an insert as to where a couple is registered at is usually done, like a bed bath and beyond card or something like that.

So, would it be better to just not put one, then if a guest asks them if they are registered somewhere, they could just say that they aren't registering anywhere?

• Options

The stores give you those little cards so  they get more business, but they should never be included with the invitation.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-wording-with-no-gift-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:b5f6041a-5387-4651-92ea-b47a0f19906aPost:47171290-4fc9-41f8-a1b8-2c0abbe18f1d">Re: Invite insert wording with no gift registry??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I didn't mean on the actual invite. But, I know that including an insert as to where a couple is registered at is usually done, like a bed bath and beyond card or something like that. So, would it be better to just not put one, then if a guest asks them if they are registered somewhere, they could just say that they aren't registering anywhere?
    Posted by jenjen212[/QUOTE]

The other posters are right.  Etiquette wise those little BB&B cards are improper and should not be used.

If she lets key people know by word of mout , or when someone asks her directly where she is registered, she can say, "We are saving up for XYZ..." people will get the hint that monetary gifts are preferred.  Only when it is asked, can she give her schpele, but not before.

It's the whole putting the registry info, gift info, etc up front (with cards or on inserts) that seems quite presumptuous and the part that is bad etiquette because wedding gifts are not actually required.  Now if it's a shower, then yes, the point is to give gifts. 
  • Options
    Those little cards should NEVER be placed in the wedding invitations.

Gift information should not be in the wedding invitation in any way shape or form.    The only place where it's OK to indicate the gift registry is in a shower invitation and even then, many still frown upon the practice.

If they don't want 'stuff' then they shouldn't register and that information is spread via word of mouth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards