Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

How to write 2010 on invitations?

So here's my question...  I'm getting ready to order wedding invitations wthin the next couple of weeks for my July wedding, and I'm working on the wording.  I have noticed in previous years that brides have written "two thousand and nine" or "two thousand and eight."  The teacher in me says that the "and" denotes a decimal point, and it seems weird for me to write "two thousand AND ten."  Am I wrong?  What are some of your doing?

Re: How to write 2010 on invitations?

• Options
    The "and" is not correct.  So it's accurately two thousand eight, two thousand nine, two thousand ten.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    The teacher in you is absolutely correct.  Many people say it incorrectly, and send out incorrect invites.  But you should definitely have yours say two thousand ten.
  • Options
    I agree with PP. No and.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The "and" is pretty standard, but optional. For the most part, Invitations don't follow typical grammar rules. If you don't want it, don't include it. (Personally, I think it reads a bit abrupt without it.)
  • Options
    Every wedding book I've looked through has it shown as

Two thousand and ten
  • Options
    It is incorrect though, the "and" stands for a decimal point, just like pp said. I have teach my students all the time how to read numbers properly. lol, it drives me a little nuts sometimes.
  • Options
    I googled this extensively and came to the conclusion that both are correct. It is more of a British thing to use the 'and', same as favour and honour. So it's your call. Personally, I agree with the no 'and', but I read an entire thing from mathematicians who basically concluded its your preference.
  • Options

I put "Two thousand and ten" on my invitations after seeing an example like that elsewhere.  Too late for me to change it now, LOL!  I really don't think it will matter to anyone.

• Options
    Either way, I think "two thousand and ten" SOUNDS awkward when you read it out loud.  "two thousand ten" is the way I say the year, and it's what's on our invites.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    It's basically up to the individual. I say "two thousand ten" but I prefer seeing it on invitations as "two thousand and ten." Just looks better in print to me.
    planning

• Options
    I agree with you, Jan.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher too, and I thought the same thing!  There definitely should not be an 'and'.  Two thousand ten all the way...

Thanks for making others aware!  Cool
  • Options

the "and" is commonly used in formal documentation, like degrees and invitations, i'm guessing to convey a more formal sound (maybe the British reference someone spoke of earlier). it would be most common to see a date written as "the 3rd day of February, nineteen hundred and ninetey-nine" than "nineteen hundred ninety-nine." since it's the year 2000, and not the regular number 2000, i personally would not interpret "two thousand and ten" as 2000.10. i would actually find it weird to not see the "and" on a formal invite, but then again, that's what i'm used to! GL!  

• Options
    i guess it depends who you are inviting.  I am an engineer and would NEVER put the "and" in, because I know it's wrong and a lot of my invites would think the same thing.  If you and the people you are inviting are more worred about British formality then being mathmaticly and gramaticly correct then put the and. 
  • Options
    the correct way would be to write Twenty Ten since thats the correct way to pronounce the year thats how it would be written as well
  • Options

I'm an English teacher and I wrote "two thousand and ten" on my invites because I thought it looked more formal.

It's YOUR wedding so do it YOUR way, and forget everyone else.

• Options
    The correct grammatical way is two thousand ten, but the "formal" way is to include the and. Mine are going to be without the and, but I have been a stickler for grammar ever since I was born. No matter what you do, however, DO NOT USE twenty ten, as someone else had said, that just sounds awful, so unless you are getting married in a barn to you second cousin with your ol' milk cow Bessy as your maid of honor, DON'T use that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_write-2010-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:c11bbf63-58d3-4f7e-a9a9-a2a50405df60Post:f0dbc084-fc74-4300-b665-228be0b7543e">Re: How to write 2010 on invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]the correct way would be to write Twenty Ten since thats the correct way to pronounce the year thats how it would be written as well
    Posted by troymar1[/QUOTE]

Eew.  No.  That's not correct on any level. 

Two thousand ten
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    more formal = include the and.
    not as formal= do whatever you want.

and whoever above said "twenty ten" that is ludicrous.
  • Options

it seems to me that the formal way of doing things would be the correct way. in that case the "and" would not be used in a formal invitation if the "and" is indeed improper. right? i am having an informal wedding and i was planning on used the "and" even after reading this board i think i'll still use the "and" i just like the way it sounds. that and i'm from the deep south nobody speaks properly anyway. ha!
    happy planning girls  

• Options
    I'm a news writer. My boss and fellow co-workers would KILL me if I ever wrote or spoke "twenty-ten" or "two thousand and ten". When you're talking about years, i.e. 1999, you don't say nineteen "and" ninety-nine. You say nineteen ninety-nine.
    BUT on a wedding invitations the "formal way" is to write two-thousand "and" ten.
    Just my two cents.

It really bothers me when people use words the wrong way. i.e. your, and you're; there, their, and they're; to, two and too; etc.
     P.S. it's not alot, "a lot" is TWO words.
    <My mini rant>
    But then again news writing is different then writing a term paper.
    x
  • Options
    On ours we are putting "two thousand and ten" - and believe me, I am a huge stickler for spelling, grammar, and general correctness.  If it was a decimal it would be "two thousand point ten".  My mother was adamant about the "and"

Honestly you could get away with either "two thousand and ten" or just "two thousand ten". 
  • Options
    my university degree says "two thousand and nine" ... but really either way is acceptable IMO.
  • Options
    You are correct..no "and".  BTW, I recently saw a colleague's STD card and 24th was written as "twenty - forth".  I tried to help but was told it has been seen that way.  LOL
    I am pretty sure we all agree it is "fourth" not "forth".  Just wanted to add that since these boards are pretty much the only place I can share crazy stuff like that!  LOL
  • Options
    BTW- the STD card also read "two thousand and ten".  HTH
  • Options
    The math teacher in me also says that "and" means decimal point. To be honest, it drives me nuts when people use "and" in dates because it makes no sense!! But that's because I'm a crazy math teacher I guess :o)

p.s. I cringed when PP said the decimal point would be written "point". My students know better! I should show them this post... haha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards