Wedding Invitations & Paper

Mailing metallic envelopes

I'm considering using metallic cardstock envelopes for my RSVP envelope.  I've already tested printing on my photo printer with no problems whatsoever.

My question is, does the post office have a problem with this?  Does the gloss to the envelope pose any problems with their machines?  Just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with this.

I don't like the look of wrap around labels so if the post office has a problem with metallic envelopes I'll probably just go with regular solid envelopes.

Re: Mailing metallic envelopes

• Ask at the post office. I have never had a problem with it myself (I use those for parties or for holiday cards).
    planning

• I used dark purple metallics for my STDs.  I hand-wrote them in silver ink. The only problem occurred w/ an invite that had the wrong zip... it took about 3 weeks to get it back because the envelope was dark and they had to tape a return to sender strip on it!
  • I work at the post office and I suggest taking them to the post office and having them paid for instead of using stamps. Usually the metallic envelopes can't be read. Also, there is a possibility that they can get wet, torn, or lost. If you take them to the post office they can bundle them. Ask for them to be hand cancelled and you should have no problems.
  • I used black envelopes and was told at the post office that they were non machinable whatever that means.... so I had to bring them in.  Something about them being too dark for the bar code and they werent bendable.  It was easy enough though to just bring them in.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_mailing-metallic-envelopes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:c9ed307a-5c88-44bf-a6f0-8bcbeea8e5aaPost:aeb9a8df-65f6-4e3e-aa50-5ce42f57ee04">Re: Mailing metallic envelopes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used black envelopes and was told at the post office that they were non machinable whatever that means.... so I had to bring them in.  Something about them being too dark for the bar code and they werent bendable.  It was easy enough though to just bring them in.
    Posted by EMF9903[/QUOTE]

Yup, this was true for us too.  The good news with it - we had one get returned, and it was SUPER easy to peel off the stamps & wraparound label & replace with new stamps and a new label and send out again.  No ugly marks on the envelope were visible at all.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_mailing-metallic-envelopes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:c9ed307a-5c88-44bf-a6f0-8bcbeea8e5aaPost:aeb9a8df-65f6-4e3e-aa50-5ce42f57ee04">Re: Mailing metallic envelopes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used black envelopes and was told at the post office that they were non machinable whatever that means.... so I had to bring them in.  Something about them being too dark for the bar code and they werent bendable.  It was easy enough though to just bring them in.
    Posted by EMF9903[/QUOTE]

I'm so happy I read this, we are using black envelopes and it never occured to me that this may be a problem.
    Lisa and Jared 10.3.10
    Planning Bio(clicky) Updated 10/1/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Favorite Wedding Picture
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards